Author: KIyer

Indians in South Australia barred from Anzac Day parade [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-9 21:27:59 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-9-9 18:51
Personally, there is nothing I have done as an Indian or an Aussie that I should feel ashamed of  ...

As long as all protests are peaceful and preferably in the open, in parliament or newspapers or through boycotts... I have no further problems with supporting your attempts to gain equal status as war veterans.

I don't want any lootings, fire bombings, knifing and shooting like they do in Ferguson, MO.

Here is a thought, Indian war veterans stage their own march to honour their fallen soldiers fighting for Australia. Other Aussies welcome to join.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-9-10 04:16:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-9-10 08:14
cestmoi Post time: 2014-9-9 23:27
As long as all protests are peaceful and preferably in the open, in parliament or newspapers or th ...

You misunderstand me. I am not on a campaign to get marching rights for Indians. I am only  pointing out the current status and racism that exists.  I Don't care to fight for such.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-9-10 04:58:43 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2014-9-9 18:33
Bruce Ruxton (RSL Queensland, deceased) has the last laugh.

Yours may have fought and died for th ...

Good old Bruce Ruxtom president Victoria RSL, then retired in Queensland

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-10 20:54:34 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2014-9-8 16:49
It should not be to avoid hostility towards whites that the RSL should change its stance. It is to ...

You are correct, KIyer. Such racism and lack of gratitude for Indians who gave their lives side by side with white ANZACs IS immoral! Your account of this episode reminds me that you must be encountering examples of white racism more often than I imagined. Australia was EXTREMELY racist in the past! So, I can accept your anti-British colonialist and racist complaints much more than I used to.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-11 04:50:29 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2014-9-10 22:54
You are correct, KIyer. Such racism and lack of gratitude for Indians who gave their lives side by ...
Your account of this episode reminds me that you must be encountering examples of white racism more often than I imagined. Australia was EXTREMELY racist in the past! So, I can accept your anti-British colonialist and racist complaints much more than I used to.

Ted, I encounter more instances of acceptance and the best of humanity everyday as compared to racism or other aspects of the worst of humanity. No matter what, those are only my personal experiences and should not count for more than that. They MAY indicate a truth that is greater than just my experience. I leave it for others to judge for themselves.
My statements and posts on this forum have to do with more than my personal experience and I hope they are seen in terms of the facts and reasoning I provide. I hope my posts are validated by others and their experiences. Anyone in Cambodia or Peru can still post the same opinions and views with the same reasoning that I do.
However, I appreciate your personal response to me.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-8 18:04:17 |Display all floors
Here is a brief history of Cannon Fodder from India.
It is an interesting article based on a new book published in India. From TheHindu website.

The forgotten Indians who fought WWI for the Raj
Military Record Search - Official War & Military Records, All Digitized & Easy to Search.

In her latest book, author Shrabani Basu seeks to bridge the gap in our knowledge of soldiers from undivided India who fought in WW1.
Special arrangement In her latest book, author Shrabani Basu seeks to bridge the gap in our knowledge of soldiers from undivided India who fought in WW1.

One and a half million soldiers fought in freezing trenches dressed only in khaki cotton gear on the western frontier.

To wear a red poppy in your lapel is a ubiquitous form of homage in the U.K. to soldiers who died in the First World War. Yet in the ceremonies that mark Remembrance Day, there has till now been only a token recall of the contribution of a significant section of the British armed forces – soldiers from the subjugated colonies of British Empire who stood in the frontlines of the Great War.

One and a half million soldiers from undivided India fought in freezing trenches dressed only in khaki cotton gear on the western frontier; in Africa and West Asia; in Palestine, Mesopotamia, Gallipoli and Egypt. Of them, 72,000 died.

The gap in our historical knowledge of soldiers from undivided India, who constituted the biggest segment of troops from the colonies, will now significantly narrow with the publication of a new book by the London-based journalist and author Shrabani Basu.

In "For King and Another Country", Ms. Basu — whose earlier biography of Noor Inayat Khan, the courageous Special Operations Executive of Indian origin in WW2, received much critical acclaim — seeks to shine a light on the lives and contributions of soldiers from the subcontinent in WW1.

Mining the vast and hitherto unused repository of official documents relating to Indian soldiers in the India Office Records at the British Library and National Archives; in newspapers of the period; and in interviews with the descendants of soldiers, Ms. Basu has put together a compelling and compassionate account of the lives of those who fought for causes that were not theirs in distant and unfamiliar theatres of war.

For the most part, Indian soldiers were cannon fodder for the British army. As chief guest General David Richards, former Chief of the Defence Staff, 2010-2013, put it: “Britain needed mass,” and Indian soldiers provided it.

Mr. Basu’s book tells us of children as young as 10 who fought in the frontline; of special arrangements made by the British to accommodate caste and religion, including separate funeral provisions; of the enduring blight of untouchability, even on foreign shores; and of outstanding examples of bravery, earning 11 Indians the Victoria Cross.

Clearly, the colonial rulers had well imbibed the lessons of 1857 and the disastrous consequences of religious unity that bound Indian soldiers in opposition to colonial rule. Through photographs and text, Ms. Basu puts faces and hearts to a population hitherto an amorphous mass in the popular mind.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.