Views: 572|Replies: 5

Do expats need pollution hazard pay? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-1 12:29:01 |Display all floors
As the smog problem in Beijing continues, though less intense than last winter, companies like Coca Cola China are offering "pollution hazard pay" to expatriates in the city. Such extra pay highlights the perceived problems of living in Beijing that include pollution, traffic and food safety.

These problems are worrying, but some byproducts of China's industrialization process. Hopefully, Chi ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-1 12:29:02 |Display all floors
"employees should be compensated for living with tornado hazards; in Texas for hails, in California for earthquakes..."
these are natural occurrences, there is no control over them.
pollution is man-made. caused by the many factories, coal power stations, and millions of cars. there are no laws that govern emissions, and the few rules that are in existence, are bypassed with gifts.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-2 06:25:14 |Display all floors
I would like to know why Chinese teachers get money on teachers day, but I am an American teaching in China for 9 years and never received any money from parents. I have a son in school here, every year I pay his teacher money, because his Chinese mom says he will be treated poorly f don't pay :-0

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-9-2 10:55:16 |Display all floors
People are not forced to come here. They come of their own volition.In fact, most are fairly chomping at the bit to get here, as I understand it. And once here, quite a few don't want to leave. Why compensate them for a matter of fact issue like pollution? If an expat is unaware Chinese cities are polluted before coming here, s/he must have been living under a rock!
Let the Chinese government spend that money on cleaning up the environment, not on compensating foreigners for something they implicitly agreed to subject themselves to by willingly coming here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-11 16:33:41 |Display all floors
Despite being offered a much higher salary to work in Beijing, I refused as there is NOTHING that will compensate me for the danger to my health.
more and more foreign workers are thinking twice about living and working in such an unhealthy city.
Pollution is man-made, tornados etc. are natural disasters.
Regading the safety aspect of China, that is another story.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-8 14:34:15 |Display all floors
In my years of working at different countries, I only know there is a term used re 'Hardship Allowances'. A phrase like pollution hazard pay is indeed something crafted out of the box that only smear Beijing or other polluted cities in China. How about foreigners or expats working in Middle East should be paid "Anti-ISIS allowance" as the danger of being kidnapped or even beheaded for them is more at risk than being exposed to pollution. Just a bunch of crap excuses formulated to make china looks bad.....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.