2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-9-4 18:25:32 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-9-4 18:39
He is Creation's only King Bee…

got stung, huh?  

learned something?
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-9-4 18:35:25 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-9-4 16:39
He is Creation's only King Bee…

But where was he created?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-4 19:25:46 |Display all floors
MisterZhu Post time: 2014-9-4 13:05
The fact that the introspective one has only hot air and sanctions to throw at Putin indicates a m ...

The introspective one has one of the deadliest killing machines known to man and aliens in hand. You should be lucky that his humanity is at the fore in this instance and not the hubris of supremacists. I suspect you are unable to identify a blessing in disguise.

A Supremacist fatalist will throw everything in there and Putin will be dead by December. You have allowed yourself to think Nuclear bombs will be detonated willy nilly. There will be folks that will disobey orders. You take everything as fait accompli. In fact there is a documentary where that particular thing happened during the cold war. A Russian pilot disobeyed orders due to the fact that he did not trust his superiors judgment.

Putin is begging for a sit down now. You are lucky. Were I the US president, military exercises would have taken place last month and Ukraine will be bristling with some tasty things.

Putin knows what's good for him
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-4 19:27:13 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-9-4 12:19
Sometimes

sometimes is better than never...........small blessings
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-9-4 19:31:24 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2014-9-4 19:27
sometimes is better than never...........small blessings

life would be boring if it was good all the time

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-4 20:34:15 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2014-9-4 19:25
The introspective one has one of the deadliest killing machines known to man and aliens in hand. Y ...

The United Serfdoms of America has tasted defeat in Vietnam and Korea; and a goal less draw in Afghanistan. The Russians will have a little more firepower than Asian rice paddy farmers or hill tribesmen. Sure the invincible US army is up to it?  
Generous treatment of captured enemy troops.
Death to those that choose to fight.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-4 21:17:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2014-9-4 17:19
MisterZhu Post time: 2014-9-4 16:34
The United Serfdoms of America has tasted defeat in Vietnam and Korea; and a goal less draw in Afg ...

I know you are a reasonable chap. being reasonable has obligations such as facing reality.- here is something I'm reading. China will defeat Russia in a war. But Russia is no match for US........unless they both go MAD

When it comes to defense spending, no country can compete directly with the United States, which spends more than the next 10 countries combined—including potential rivals Russia and China, as well as allies such as England, Japan, and France. Altogether, the Pentagon accounts for nearly 40 percent of global military spending. In 2012, 4.4 percent of our GDP went to defense. That's in line with how much Russia spends; China spends 2 percent of its GDP on its military.

A conventional war in Eastern Europe
This is the other scenario that never happened in the Cold War. Now, the possibility of scenario one (nuclear Armageddon) makes this one almost equally unlikely. But for the sake of argument, let's assume this hypothetical U.S.-Russia war breaks out in Ukraine, and that other NATO forces are supplementing U.S. troops, ships, and aircraft. Unlike in the Asia-Pacific, where the U.S. keeps China in check (and vice versa, as Eugene Chow explained), NATO provides the United States with a robust military alliance set up specifically to take on Soviet Russia.

The first dynamic is that Russia would have home field advantage: The Russian navy has long called Crimea its home, and whatever troops Russia doesn't already have in Ukraine are right next door, one border-crossing away. The other big starting point is that the U.S. and its NATO allies have Russia effectively surrounded. By its own public count, the U.S. has 598 military facilities in 40 countries, along with the 4,461 bases in the U.S. and U.S. territories.

Along with its large number of bases in Germany, the U.S. has major military installations in Qatar and the Diego Garcia atoll to Russia's south and Japan and South Korea to its east. NATO allies France and Britain are even closer, as this map from Britain's The Telegraph shows:

On top of that, NATO has bases around Russia's western perimeter and in Turkey, right across the Black Sea from Ukraine. What about Russia? "They have a presence in Cuba," more a way station than a base, NYU professor Mark Galeotti tells The Washington Post. And Russia has a naval base in Tartus, Syria. But otherwise "they have no bases outside the former Soviet Union."

Russia has an estimated 845,000 active-duty troops, with as many as 2.5 million more in reserve. NYU's Galeotti isn't very impressed. Russia's military is "moderately competent," he tells The Washington Post. "It's not at the level of the American or British or German military, but it's better than in the 1990s." The Russian troops, especially the Spetsnaz special forces, are "good at bullying small neighbors, but it would not be effective against NATO. It would not be able to defeat China." Galeotti is even more brutal about Russia's Crimea-based Black Sea Fleet:

As a war-fighting force, it's not particularly impressive. Its main vessel was basically built to fight other ships and so is only useful in fighting a naval war. It's got the Moskva, an aging guided-missile cruiser; a large anti-submarine warfare cruiser — very dated; a destroyer and two frigates, which are more versatile; landing ships; and a diesel attack submarine. It's not a particularly powerful force. The Italian navy alone could easily destroy it. [Washington Post]

The U.S. military's 1.4 million active duty troops and 850,000 reservists, but it can't just throw all of them at Russia — somebody has to maintain those 598 bases around the world, as well as defend the U.S.

NATO's Response Force (NRF), which would probably be the first armed unit to engage the Russians, has 13,000 troops at the ready and thousands more in reserve. Here's NATO describing its first-response team, right before NRF war games last fall:

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.