Views: 334|Replies: 2

King's dream remains an elusive goal[2]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-28 14:42:28 |Display all floors
Although the Brown vs Board of Education decision made by the US Supreme Court 60 years ago ruled that racial segregation in public schools violated the Constitution, a Pew Center report released in May this year showed that about one-in-three black and Hispanic students attend a school where at least three quarters of students were of the same race or ethnicity.

Pew Center research last week sho ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-28 14:43:48 |Display all floors
Mao was also of the opinion that the civil rights movement was very much a class as well as a race problem and, surprisingly, John Kennedy agreed with this conclusion.

Yes, race continues to be a problem long after JFK and Johnson passed away. Some decades ago, I sent my teenage child to enroll at St Louis University. When we entered the admissions hall, a lady beamed at us, asked us to take a seat, and inquired whether we would like a drink. Then she glanced at some other families who were seated there, probably long before we entered the hall. They were blacks.

"Would you also like to have a drink?" she asked.

I was appalled. Obviously she'd ignored those black visitors until we arrived.

Another incident warned me about the race situation in St. Louis: the college security guard told my kid not to take the subway after six pm because, during that period of time, there would be many of "those people."

I still think SLU is a fine university (and I love St Louis very much, not least the great Italian food at "the hill"), and that what I'd seen were but two isolated events. But certainly, racism simply didn't disappear from the American scene long after King's death.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.