Views: 20921|Replies: 215

Indians fought Europe's wars   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-8-6 12:22:59 |Display all floors
From The Hindu newspaper 5th Aug 2014
by Shashank Joshi

If World War I resonates in such a weak, confused, and even negative way with Europeans, it is little wonder that young Africans or Indians see even smaller stakes in this year’s centenary ceremonies. This is why it is crucial to understand the war’s global scope and the role played by the British Empire and Commonwealth

Did you know that India fought against Britain in the First World War? That, at least, is the belief of over a quarter of Indians, according to a British Council survey earlier this year. It is no consolation that the situation is little better in Europe. Two years ago, another survey showed that over half of Britons didn’t know whether India had contributed over 1,000 troops. This might be a forgivable gap in knowledge, if the real figure were not well over a million.

My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-6 12:23:41 |Display all floors
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-6 23:58:59 |Display all floors
Absolutely right. Millions of Indians fought in both world wars on Britain's side. And still the British resisted Indian independence. A real lack of gratitude. It was all about British money.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-7 09:43:06 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-8-7 11:44
Ted180 Post time: 2014-8-7 01:58
Absolutely right. Millions of Indians fought in both world wars on Britain's side. And still the Bri ...

It would be silly of Indians to have expected anything else from the British. A colonial slave - a person on a nation, was for the British a resource to be used (abused) as cannon fodder when they have to face their enemies. The British empire (as do most violent empires) stemmed from an immoral desire to steal, thieve and kill without mercy and use up other places and people. It would be out of character to expect things like 'gratitude', honour etc from such a master. It is not just money, it is the basic character and characteristic of what it means to be a colonial, imperial power.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-7 16:32:32 |Display all floors
different time

the Indian soldiers volunteered for reasons that in this day and age we can not comprehend

ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-7 18:54:26 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-8-7 21:07
laincoubert Post time: 2014-8-7 18:32
different time

the Indian soldiers volunteered for reasons that in this day and age we can not comp ...

no, it was not 'volunteering'. that is just Bu!! Sh!t.  Many would have put up their hands when offered the choice between volunteering and something worse. That is how the British or any imperial enslaver got some to volunteer... Dont try to twist the facts and play with words.
it is not difficult to comprehend human reactions and thinking of a couple of hundred years ago, when they are enslaved. Those that pretend to do so are being deliberately evasive from facing uncomfortable facts of their own human nature and that of their ancestors.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-7 20:01:56 |Display all floors
laincoubert Post time: 2014-8-7 17:32
different time

the Indian soldiers volunteered for reasons that in this day and age we can not comp ...

not what a 82 year old ex Gurkha soldier told me
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.