Views: 2787|Replies: 15

Being an atheist in the US [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-4 19:05:04 |Display all floors
"Sometimes things need to be said, and fights need to be fought even if they are unpopular. To the closeted atheists, you are not alone, and you deserve equality."---David Silverman,the American Atheists president.

At one of the biggest gatherings of atheist students in the country, in Columbus, Ohio, Jamila Bey from the Secular Student Alliance said there were many attendees who were nervous about being interviewed and had indicated so by what they were wearing around their neck.

She said many were worried about being ostracised or were even scared of violence if they revealed they did not believe in God.
Lasan Dancay-Bangura, 22, is happy to talk to us. He is, after all, head of his university's atheist student group. He lets out a deep, sad sigh as he recalls the moment he told his mother he was an atheist.
"Things were really not good to begin with. She was so angry," he says.
"After a while I think she just accepted it. We still don't talk about it. It looks like she's not going to kick me out."
Lasan Dancay-Bangura, 22, is happy to talk to us. He is, after all, head of his university's atheist student group. He lets out a deep, sad sigh as he recalls the moment he told his mother he was an atheist.
"Things were really not good to begin with. She was so angry," he says.
"After a while I think she just accepted it. We still don't talk about it. It looks like she's not going to kick me out."
Dancay-Bangura admits that he still has not told his father.
"I don't want our relationship to be destroyed because of that," he says. "You hear it all the time."
"And you hear about people being kicked out, and sent to bible camps where they're forced to be religious. I don't want to lose my father to that"
The parents of Katelyn Campbell, 19, from West Virginia, have been very supportive of her stance as an atheist. Her problem has been other members of the community. "In high school, when I walked down the hallway it would be completely silent, or I would be spat on," Katelyn says."Often times I'm really uncomfortable being out in public spaces in my community at home because people often bring that discussion to my face, which is a discussion of values that are very personal and very private," she says.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-4 19:10:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by moonshooter at 2014-8-4 19:27

A recent poll conducted by the Pew Research Centre shows Americans would rather have a president who was either in their 70s, or openly gay, or who had never held any public office than one that was atheist.
Astonishingly, a previous poll by Pew suggested respondents in the US regarded atheists as less trustworthy than rapists. One of Atheist TV's new phone-in programmes, The Atheist Experience, has already had a taste of how many Americans perceive "non-believers".
"So you were studying to be a minister, and now you don't believe in God? You're the devil," one caller tells the host. "You're a Marxist, you're an atheist and you're from Russia," says another.

Who is an atheist?
• 2% of US adults say they are atheists
• 67% of them are men
• 26% of them see themselves as spiritual
• 82% say at times they feel a deep connection with nature
Source: Pew Research Center

By the way,if I went to the US,as a chinese with no religious belief,would I be looked upon and lose many oppotunities?Having no religious belief does not mean I do not have belief.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-4 19:15:35 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-4 19:17:59 |Display all floors

Atheists in the US are rallying together, launching a new TV programme and providing support for those who go public with their beliefs.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-4 22:51:24 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-8-4 21:43
What despicable gimmick - to pretend they are victims of persecution analogous to the witchhunt th ...

But what is the reason why most Ameicans believe in god?The number of religious beliver in Ameican scientists is low,it is common that the more you have learned,the less you belive in god.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-7 07:51:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-8-4 21:43
What despicable gimmick - to pretend they are victims of persecution analogous to the witchhunt th ...

atheism is not a creed and atheists are not a sect.  

atheism is by definition "not a theist" in that they do not believe in a god (or gods) and this include those who admit, at least to themselves, that they do not know if there is a god.   

To use as popular analogy: to say that "atheism is a faith or religion" is like saying that my hobby is "not stamp collecting".  

There are atheists who happen to be bad people but the vast majority are good people who  are curious about the world and strive to learn more about it.  As moonshooter pointed out, scientists tend to be atheists.  I think it is because they rely on the scientific method to learn, not faith.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-8 00:00:29 |Display all floors
moonshooter Post time: 2014-8-4 22:51
But what is the reason why most Ameicans believe in god?The number of religious beliver in Ameican ...

They were indoctrinated or brainwashed since childhood. Its so sad its not even funny.

If you want to know whether or not God is real, look within.

There is no such God as defined by Christianity, this is just common sense to anyone who is not brainwashed.

But science cannot explain everything.

Trust your inner spontaneous self. Your inner self knows the path you should take in life, even if you do not know it consciously.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.