Views: 9891|Replies: 40

The day when you stopped spending your parents' money   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2014-7-9 16:59:57 |Display all floors
Parents are always giving children their selfless love, the best care and financial support, but children on the other hand shouldn't take everything for granted, they needs to learn to be independent as they grow up.

It must be a pain-taking as well as fullfilling experience To be financially independent. For most of the cases in China, young people won't be financially independent from their parents until they land their first jobs. Was it the case for you? It was true for me, I found a tutor job when I was a sophomore, and the pay day was so sweet, though it was little. As I took more tutor jobs, I could completely support myself in college. My parents were very proud of me.

General opinion goes that Chinese teenagers are not as independent as those in US. Do you agree?
What was your experience of being financially independent from your parents?

[url=][/url]
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-9 19:56:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by jay_dee at 2014-7-9 20:27

I started working @ 12.
There was no allowance plus I had chores to do.
Cut grass & landscaping, cleaned basements & garages, did minor home repairs & painted, shoveled snow, etc.
Bought my own car @ 17, paid the insurance and for gas/repairs, bought & washed my clothes.
Started paying rent @ 18 & bought groceries, cooked for myself.
Worked 3 jobs while attending University, paid for my books and tuition, co
mmuted daily.
When I was 24 I bought and furnished my first house without any assitance.
I paid the entire bill for my wedding as well.
Chinese have it easy.

I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-9 20:04:04 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2014-7-9 19:56
I started working @ 12.
There was no allowance plus I had chores to do.
Cut grass & landscaping, cl ...

Been there. Done that.  Chinese kids have no work ethic.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-9 20:24:21 |Display all floors
Hear you there.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-9 20:25:45 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2014-7-9 20:24
Hear you there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-9 23:34:38 |Display all floors
@15, i started a movie rental, i borrowed small amount of money from my mom to start this
@16 i started trading vcd (at that time, vcd just started to boom)
Movie business paid my university tuition and living cost. i also tried selling batik clothing and some stationary, imported from china
@21 i finished my study and worked for one of big 4 accounting firm
@25 i quit my job and started my own tax consulting firm, this then expanded to business consulting handling corporate action, my first big client was one of the largest credit card from USA.
@35 (now), 7 of my business have gone bankrupt, left with 2 companies, the consulting firm and the other one is the software services for enterprise resource planning. Lost a lot of money during these times, anyway, i learn the hard way....

Ok now you know my age too old already

So, i went independent since i was 15. But until 25, i was still poor. Got my first cheap korean sedan when i was 23. Bought my first mercedes when i was 32. A bit late, but better late than never right?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-10 02:13:01 |Display all floors
I'm so ashamed that I rarely spent time doing part-time job during my college time to earn money...
I just did it when it came to vacation...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.