Views: 4666|Replies: 16

Too bad Australia going the American way: Joseph Stiglitz [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-7-3 07:35:56 |Display all floors
From 'The Age' newspaper online. Here is someone whose opinion is similar to mine on these issues. Many Aussies feel this way, but democracy elects those who will go against commonsense or even the majority opinion.

-KIyer

Excerpt:

The government's plan to deregulate universities is "a crime" and the move  for  co-payments for medical services is "absurd" in the view of visiting Nobel  prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz.
Asked by Fairfax Media to nominate the two biggest mistakes the  government  could make that would take it down the American path of widening inequality and  economic stagnation, Professor Stiglitz chose  the budget changes to university  fees and Medicare. Each would make Australia more like the US.
"Countries that imitate the American model are kidding themselves," he said.  "It seems that some people here would like to emulate the American model. I  don't fully understand the logic."
In the lead-up to the budget Education Minister Christopher Pyne said  Australia had much to learn about universities from overseas,  "not least …  from our friends in the United States".
Advertisement
Professor Stiglitz said Australia had "a system that is really a model for  the rest of the world", and deregulating fees would move the entire system in  the wrong direction.
"Trying to pretend that universities are like private markets is absurd. The  worst-functioning part of the US educational market at the tertiary level is the  private for-profit system,'' he said. ''It is a disaster. It excels in one area,  exploiting poor children.

My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-3 07:36:29 |Display all floors
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbotts-changes-to-universities-and-health-a-crime-absurd-says-nobel-prize-winning-economist-joseph-stiglitz-20140702-3b8ue.html
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-3 07:37:17 |Display all floors
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-4 13:14:39 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-4 15:41:28 |Display all floors
Australian / American model of for profits education................people not happy.

Malaysian model of affirmative action.....................people not happy.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-4 15:42:11 |Display all floors
In a global economy no country can afford to educate its young, as they then become attractive to the competition. An established economy can easily attract the most intelligent and capable graduates from a poorer country. This obviates the need to educate its own.

It's a regressive move following a downward spiral and wasting much talent in the world. But accepting the maxim that "knowledge is power", it behoves the moneyed class to restrict that to their own ranks. It all points to the conspiracy to enslave.

In the West right to knowledge was first promoted by the ancient Greeks, and the Hellenistic period saw a flourish of intellectual activity. Hitherto knowledge was restricted to the elite, with the rest of the population living in servile "blissful" ignorance.

It is no coincidence that in today's world the powers that be will attack and discredit all Hellenists as extreme right wingers. An educated public is the elite's worst nightmare.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-4 16:00:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by LCSULLA at 2014-7-4 16:05

Should go communist and become 3rd world, with wealth and good services only available for the politically connected, shouldn't they.
Jeez, the Australians will be so looking forward to that.
The Positions of American Universities in the global top-100 and those of gouvernment intervened indian and chinese universities speaks in favour of the later, or what?
Too bad they are going for improvement over the later,
makes your dreams of unfetted distopian power grab harder.

Your dissonance with Rawl's veil speaks clear enough!

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.