Readers’ Blog

Do Digital Red Envelopes Tarnish Tradition?

Popularity 2Viewed 2237 times 2016-3-22 12:35 |Personal category:Views|System category:Life

It was considered an exciting and expecting thing to receive hongbaos during the Spring Festival , red envelops filled with lucky money, from senior family members in my childhood. Nowadays, however, as the technology develops rapidly and online payment services are thriving, most people are engaged in taking part in the carnival of grabbing digital red envelops. Personally, this kind of craze will tarnish our tradition in term of the change of content and form.

Digital red envelops will in some way alienate our family members and reduce frequent communication and connection between us in content. In the past, we would accompany the whole family to seeing the Spring Festival Gala, and chat with each other about the past things. When the clock for the new year stroke, we would drop the work in hand and went outside to see the fireworks, ask the seniors for lucky money, or say “Happy New Year” to our family and friends. While currently most of us tend to focus on the mobile phones to scramble for digital red envelops, staring close at the screen and trying not to miss any envelops. Obviously, we won’t spare our “precious” time to stay with our family, which means the absence of the family reunion during the Spring Festival. After all, traditional envelopes are full of love and best wishes, such as growing up happily and healthily, from the senior family members, while digital envelopes fail to express this way.

Digital red envelopes can’t enable people to feel festal atmosphere of the New Year and sincerity from the seniors in form. Digital red envelopes are just a kind of visual experience to some degree, but traditional envelopes combine both visual and tactile experience, conveying a sense of humanity. Traditional red envelopes are given out mostly in the Spring Festival, and by contrast, digital red envelopes can be sent at any time, no exact limitation on time and space. Taking my experience for instance, my uncle gave me lucky money RMB200 by Wechat for the first time, as I spent the Spring Festival far from home. The moment I received the red envelopes, I wasn’t as happy as before actually. What I gained from that red envelopes was just RMB200 instead of the sincere wishes in the flesh and gentle touch on my shoulders. What’s worse, we spend large amounts of time and energy obtaining digital red envelopes, but on average, the money you get finally is quite small. 

To conclude, digital red envelopes will tarnish our tradition if we don’t balance the relationship between the technology and tradition. Anyway, we are not supposed to abandon traditional envelopes, even if digital red envelopes is enjoying its popularity now.

(This is a recent writing assignment I did based on a relevant report.)

traditional envelopes

digital hongbaos

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray
Like 0 Share

Comment Comment (6 comments)

Reply Report voice_cd 2016-3-23 08:49
Thanks for sharing your story here, we have highlighted it in our blog homepage.
Reply Report Echo/hanhan 2016-3-23 13:03
voice_cd: Thanks for sharing your story here, we have highlighted it in our blog homepage.
THANK YOU, CD
Reply Report Dahu8610 2016-3-24 15:08
Why is digital red envelop is becoming popular, when it is against traditional values? Isn't it fun to give and get the lucky money?  
Reply Report Echo/hanhan 2016-3-24 15:58
Dahu8610: Why is digital red envelop is becoming popular, when it is against traditional values? Isn't it fun to give and get the lucky money?   
Yeah, it is really fun to give and get the lucky money in the digital form, but sometimes for me, I would miss the past times when the seniors in my family gave me hongbaos wrapped in the red paper. I really miss that kind of atmosphere, haha, just during the important festivals.
(By the way, digital red envelopes are indeed in fashion and I am also happy to receive.)
Reply Report Dahu8610 2016-3-24 17:18
It is fun to look at the dog in the picture...
Reply Report Echo/hanhan 2016-3-24 22:21
Dahu8610: It is fun to look at the dog in the picture...
HAHA, Well , I hve to admit that you have a pair of sharp eyes . You must be humorous, right? Actually, I did not notive that, yeah it is really funny, ha.

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

Most Viewed

Egg, pork and mask

views

Most commented

Egg, pork and mask

comments

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.