Readers’ Blog

Touching China

Popularity 7Viewed 4259 times 2016-3-5 21:02 |Personal category:Views|System category:Life| China

We have been taught that helping others will benefit ourselves as well since we were in the kindergarten. Just as the old saying goes, the rose's in her hand, the flavor in mine. At the same time, we are easily get moved into tears by some trivial but touching deeds most times, as some people do make great difference to our world.

Every year, I will watch Touching China, a TV program held annually to honor ten persons who do heroic deeds to our nation last year. Every time I watch it, I will be moved to tears at times, feel different and think a lot about myself as well as the people around me. Why do these people are so different and respected? Why can they have unusual and positive influence on our society? And why couldn’t you be like that, or just be persistent in doing one or two things? 

Yesterday I watched the Touching China that awarded ten persons to represent a true moral epic of 2015 in China, and they did made a great impression on me. These people come from different backgrounds, countries, careers and religion, but what they have in common is that they make great changes to certain people on the society. One career among the ten is indispensable every year, and there is no exception this year. Father Mo, a headmaster of high school in Guangxi, with his big efforts, helped lots of students from poor areas gain the precious opportunity to be able to continue learning and finally get admitted to university. He even spent most of his slender income supporting children in need and did change their life completely. The great father, however passed away due to heart disease. I guess Father Mo will feel a sense of relief when his students get great progress in the future. He definitely deserves that reputation.

A couple, Zhang Baoyan and Qin Yanyou, set up a website called Baby, Come Home to succeed in finding numerous lost kids, which also touched me greatly. Their action was due to their own experience that they lost their kid in 1992, and through the accident, they both understood what the parents that lost children exactly felt. Having thought carefully, they were determined to try to provide service to these parents as much as they can. With their continuous work, they eventually managed to help many kids find their home, their parents. And now, the finding system is really perfect as they now get more and more understanding from society and assistance from the police. I really show respect for the couple’s creation and bravery. Rarely do they know about computers, they should establish such advanced system and make contributions to the society. But what about us today? We know well about computers, but why do we fail to do that? I think that is just an attitude.

In 2014, a seventy-eight man was also awarded as he had collected garbage to support poor children to study for over twenty years. In 2015, a old man in Jiangsu did such similar deeds and never gave up too. What he relied on was just his skill:  sharpening knives. Surprisingly, he supported the people that suffered in the mudslide of Gansu and the earthquake of Sichuang with money he earned. At his age, he should have spent relaxing days with state aid, but he didn’t. He took careful consideration into the society and went to welfare homes to visit orphans in his spare time as well as built bridges for his village. He almost devoted all his money and time to the society.

Tu Youyou, who was awarded Nobel before, had a far-reaching impact on the Chinese medicine research. She led her team to do plenty of experiments regardless of the poor experimental devices and terrible conditions several decades ago. Though they failed many times, she still cheered them up, and kept going, and finally accomplished their project. The medicine they carried out can be applied to many parts and benefits a wide range of people on the earth. With regard to this studying process, I have to admit her attitude towards science.

The remaining six people also make great contributions to us and work as a volleyball coach, a technician and so on. Their behaviors invoke my thought about daily life, and I am ready to do good to other people even if it is trivial, even if I am just a plain girl. I always hold a view that even small action could make great sense to the people around you.

This also reminds me of one thing I did last Monday. Because these days I have to prepare to TEM-4 and review my minor course Finance and Trade, I spend much time learning in the self-learning room. Last Sunday, when I sat down and amazingly noticed ¥200 below the desk. Without any hesitation, I handed in the money to the office, and provided information to make sure that the owner could find it soon. 

The moment I handed in the money, I felt a sense of pride and satisfaction without any regret. Two hundred is actually a big number for me, for I can buy fancy clothes, have tasting food, go e-shopping and so on, but it is not mines. If I had put the money in my pocket, the owner would have lost part of his living expenses.

In fact, it is not difficult to do such small things. What obstacles you mostly is that you are not brave enough to do, or you are just not accustomed to doing somebody a favor. Just remember that your small actions could also make great difference to others.  

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray

Friends who just made a statement (3 Person)

Like 0 Share

Comment Comment (12 comments)

Reply Report SEARU 2016-3-6 18:22
The Moving stories could touch the depth of every one‘s heart!
Reply Report Echo/hanhan 2016-3-6 20:40
SEARU: The Moving stories could touch the depth of every one‘s heart!
Yeah, indeed, hoping the world we are living in is more beautiful
Reply Report voice_cd 2016-3-7 10:08
Thanks for sharing your story here, we have highlighted it in our blog homepage.
Reply Report Echo/hanhan 2016-3-7 13:18
voice_cd: Thanks for sharing your story here, we have highlighted it in our blog homepage.
thank you
Reply Report guml 2016-3-7 14:42
Big China is come from several ordinal peoples.
Reply Report Echo/hanhan 2016-3-7 18:48
guml: Big China is come from several ordinal peoples.
YEAH, indeed. thank you
Reply Report Baron_xie 2016-3-9 12:48
they set up a good example for us,they teach us what love is ,what duty is,and so on,they are heroes, and I bow down to them.
thanks for your good sharing
Reply Report Echo/hanhan 2016-3-9 13:53
Baron_xie: they set up a good example for us,they teach us what love is ,what duty is,and so on,they are heroes, and I bow down to them.
thanks for your good sha ...
Yeah, I agree with you,a nd they also make me believe that love still exists everywhere, hoping the world will be better.
Reply Report Dahu8610 2016-3-24 16:57
This is a touching essay,and I love it. But another interesting question: why do you think in the last paragraph that people need courage to do good things?
Reply Report Echo/hanhan 2016-3-24 22:35
Dahu8610: This is a touching essay,and I love it. But another interesting question: why do you think in the last paragraph that people need courage to do good t ...
Thank you for your compliment.
Just take me for example, sometimes when i want to offer my seat for the old, especially not close to my seat, in the bus,  I am a little afraid that the passengers would look at me. This may make me sort of embarrassed. You know, most times when the bus is crowded, people are not willing to share their seats, even for the old or the pregnant. At this moment, if you take the  initiative,  people will definitely stare at you for some reason.

So I MEAN in China, if you have the desire to show your kindness, then follow your heart and do it, never caring bout the voice of others. What you need to know is that you are doing good.

maybe I am not good at explaining, if you are still confused , I can tell you more.
Reply Report Dahu8610 2016-3-25 09:21
Thanks. In fact, you show clear mind and narrative strength, which have enabled you to give me a very impressive explanation. So I am glad to see where your wonderful English writings come from.
Reply Report Echo/hanhan 2016-3-25 13:13
Dahu8610: Thanks. In fact, you show clear mind and narrative strength, which have enabled you to give me a very impressive explanation. So I am glad to see wher ...
THank you very much. Glad to see that you understand me. Actually, I had great difficulty in English writing at first, so I attended this blog contest to just improve my writing skills by chance. I keep writing in my spare time, though I don't use beautiful words or sentences. All I write is just to express myself, and in the process to learn from you and other friends in this platform.
Thank you again.

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.