Readers’ Blog

Being Single on Valentine’s Day

Popularity 5Viewed 2424 times 2016-2-14 23:16 |System category:Life| Valentine

I can’t remember since when Valentine’s Day became popular in China. Each year on this day, you can see young girls selling roses on streets and the exits of subways, shopping malls covered with pink and red, and many young men holding bunch of flowers waiting for their lovers. Girls are so happy when they received flowers and chocolates, and young men are happier when they find that they can make their beauties happy. Sweetness and love are the theme of the whole world.

Just as an old Chinese saying, “The crescent is shining above the whole country (in favor of nobody). But people’s lives are totally different: some with happiness and some with great sorrow.” Today is also single people’s nightmare. No matter where you go, sweet couples would come into your sight. Social apps also become platforms for Valentine’s Day photos shows. The single would feel much more lonely and sad when seeing these.

There is another thing that also hurts single ones. People around you often ask questions like “what’s your plan on Valentine’s Day”, which makes the single dogs embarrassed. After all, no one wants to be alone.

However, there is no need to feel upset because of loneliness. But enjoy it. Humans should experience all kinds of lives. Loneliness is one of the kinds. Couples are not always like this, and they used to be single before. Just wait for the right person’s coming.

But being single does not mean that we have nothing to do on Valentine’s Day. Since we can’t change the reality, why not change our attitudes? Valentine’s Day is a day related to love, so we can also show our love to anyone that we love. Buy flowers for your mother, send a card to your friends faraway, and give your best regards to your colleagues. Just remember, “Be mine, I love you, you are my valentine.” can be used for all beloved people. Show your kindness to others and you would also receive best wishes from others.

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray

Friends who just made a statement (2 Person)

Like 0 Share

Comment Comment (12 comments)

Reply Report HailChina! 2016-2-15 10:53
I have been single on Valentines Day for a few years now. I agree that it can make a single person feel alone. But I don't really like it when I am in a relationship either. When I have a girlfriend I always seem to forget it plus I don't like having to give my partner a gift or whatever because it is a certain day. But worse than when you are single or in a commited exclusive relationship is when you are casually dating someone. It is when I have been casually dating a girl that Valentines Day has given me the most stress. Like if you are casually dating a girl and do not want the relationship to be more serious Valentines Day can be kind of a dilemma because if you make a big deal on Valentines Day then your casual partner may think that you want things to be more serious even though you don't. If you do want things to be more serious and your casual partner doesn't then making a big deal about Valentines Day may scare her out of your casual relationship. I have had both of these kinds of stresses. No matter what my relationship status I have never really been a big fan of Valentines Day. If you are single you can be happy that couples that like Valentines Day I guess but people make proposal's every day and happy couples should he just as happy the day before or after Valentines Day really. You could he happy for florists.
Reply Report HailChina! 2016-2-15 10:54
And "single dogs"?
Reply Report irisshao823 2016-2-15 14:27
HailChina!: And "single dogs"?
"Single dog" is humour saying for single persons, meaning that being single is as lonely as a homeless dog. And in China, when we were extremly tired (due to hard work or something else), we can say we are as tired as a god. Both expresions are used among young people in China. I hope I make it clear.
Reply Report irisshao823 2016-2-15 14:35
HailChina!: I have been single on Valentines Day for a few years now. I agree that it can make a single person feel alone. But I don't really like it when I am in ...
Wow, your relationships are really complicated. I think you must be very popular among girls. Many Chinese young men would envy you. Anyway, I agree that Valentine’s Day sometimes is a stress if you have a lover. For you have to find the right way to send the day with your lover. Many young couple would have serious quarrels on this day, and some even break up. Anyway, I hope everything goes well with you.
Reply Report HailChina! 2016-2-15 17:38
irisshao823: "Single dog" is humour saying for single persons, meaning that being single is as lonely as a homeless dog. And in China, when we were extre ...
Funny stuff.
Reply Report HailChina! 2016-2-15 17:40
irisshao823: Wow, your relationships are really complicated. I think you must be very popular among girls. Many Chinese young men would envy you. Anyway, I agree t ...
I am not particularly popular with girls at all. I am just old is all. I am bound to have had some relationships. And like I said I have been single for a few Valentines Days now.

Thanks.
Reply Report dusty1 2016-2-16 09:06
The obsession to be partnered up I never understood and neither am I into Valentin's day. The first time I ever heard of Valantines day was the Valentin's day massacre, so it means nothing to me.
You go live your life as long as you don't do harm and you enjoy life you are living a good life
Reply Report Echo/hanhan 2016-2-17 09:19
I appreciate your opinion in this matter. I am single, On Valentine's Day, I try to not see the moments on apps all day , but spend this specil day with my mom, or best friends. I agree with you that you can give your love to your beloved.
Reply Report irisshao823 2016-2-17 10:17
Echo/hanhan: I appreciate your opinion in this matter. I am single, On Valentine's Day, I try to not see the moments on apps all day , but spend this specil day wi ...
Thanks for your comments. And great minds think the same.
Reply Report Monjur 2016-2-17 16:31
Love for not a specific day..Love for everyday. Now the tradition is that Valentine's day only for couple which I really ignore.
Reply Report irisshao823 2016-2-19 15:55
Monjur: Love for not a specific day..Love for everyday. Now the tradition is that Valentine's day only for couple which I really ignore.
Yes, love is not a specific day, but for everyday. I can't agree more.
Reply Report Monjur 2016-2-23 13:03
hmm..Right you are  

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.