Readers’ Blog

Four Tips to Protect Our Teeth

Viewed 590 times 2016-1-10 22:47 |System category:Life| wisdom teeth, teeth protection, dental floss

If you ask me what the most impressive thing in 2015 is, I will say that I have got five teeth removal, four of which were wisdom teeth and one decayed tooth. And I also had root canal therapy, a treatment to save your tooth when your tooth’s pulp has been infected. I can’t remember how many times I have been to the stomatology hospital. Most of my annual leaves were spent in waiting for the dentists’ treatment and the treatment itself.

Chinese stomatology research can be back to 1324 BC, and dental treatments could be found in famous works like The Inner Canon of Huangdi and Compendium of Materia Medica. But due to the wars and unsteadiness in the late 19th century and early 20th century, stomatology developed slowly. And people’s awareness to oral hygiene is at a low level. Most people even don’t know the correct way of brushing teeth.

Therefore, I strongly insist that we should learn more knowledge on teeth protection. And good daily oral caring helps you to effectively prevent against gingivitis. Based on my personal experiences and the dentists’ advices, I summarize the following four tips to protect our teeth.

1.       Brush your teeth correctly

You may brush your teeth every day, but I most people don’t know the right way. My dentist recommended Bass method of brushing. The steps are as follows:

Step 1. Put your brush, in an angle of 45°, on the border of your teeth and gums.
Step 2. Gently shake your hands between right and left side; and then move your brush downwards by a force of rotation.
Step 3. Brush 1 tooth or 2 teeth each time by following the processes of steps II. Please brush gently your tooth/teeth.
Step 4. Follow the same processes aforementioned for the teeth of your lower jaw. However, please change your direction of rotation as upward for these teeth.
Step 5. Finally, don’t forget the inward face of your teeth.

(The steps above are from internet.)

2.       Use dental floss or interdental brush

Why we have to use them? Brushes we use daily can’t clean the space between teeth, even if you use the right brushing method and brush your teeth very day. I know someone’s teeth are decayed from the joint place of teeth and gums, and it’s impossible to have the fillings done. Here I present the steps of using dental floss and interdental brushes on the internet.

Steps for Using floss:

Step 1. Get dental floss in a length of around 45cm, which about the length of our lower arms
Step 2. Tighten the dental floss and wind it around the second joint of your middle finger.
Step 3. Straighten your thumb and index figure of the same hand palm while turn your wrist for thumb to be positioned on the right by comparing with your index figure of the same palm to be positioned on the left.
Step 4. Put the dental floss close contact with the adjoining face of teeth, which forms nearly a “C” shape. Move your hand palm with dental floss to scratch your teeth face for removal of dental plaque.
Step 5. For the teeth in back part of your upper jaw, please apply the manner aforementioned with help from both your two index figure. Dental floss should be maintained in a length of 1 to 2 cm.
Step 6. For the teeth in the back of lower jaw, please apply the same manner as point 5 aforementioned.

Steps of using interdental brushes:

Step 1. First, interdental brush is inserted into oral cave from cheek side and gently contact surface of teeth, and then brushes teeth.
Step 2. Second, interdental brush is inserted into oral cave from tongue side, and follows the process as step 1.
Step 3. Bleedings from gums is often and normally seen at initiation of using interdental brush. This phenomenon would disappear after a period of time.
Step 4. For tighter teeth arrangements, dental floss is recommended.

3.  Have wisdom teeth removed if necessary

First, what is wisdom tooth? According to Merriam Webster dictionary, a wisdom tooth is “one of the four large teeth in the back of your mouth that do not appear until you are an adult”. My four wisdom teeth appeared in my twenties. Although I suffered a lot when they were growing and when infected, I didn’t pay enough attention to them until one of them brought me serious oral problem after infected. Then my teeth removal journey started.

So please visit the dentist first if you have wisdom teeth, and make sure whether it is necessary to remove them.

4.       Go to see the dentist periodically

According to my doctor, it is necessary to visit the dentist every half year. Take a full set of dental X-rays, check teeth color, number, and whether you have decayed teeth. Visiting a dentist is probably not on your “favors” list, but it doesn’t deserve a spot on your “hate” list, based on today’s advance dental technologies and well trained stomatology doctors. And with the current situation of doctor-patient relationship in China, one more point should be mentioned: please be sure to TRUST the dentists, because most of them are really likely to help you.

Finally, I hope everyone can have healthy teeth, which is one of the luckiest things.

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray
Like 0 Share

Comment (0 comments)

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.