Readers’ Blog

How About Julian Marshall by Now

Viewed 767 times 2014-6-14 15:53 |Personal category:life|System category:Life

Julian  Marshall  was  an  old  acquaintance  for  nearly  twenty  years . He  was  one  of  the  silver-voiced BBC broadcasters.   About twenty  years  ago ,  I  would  turn  on  the  radio every  night  at  21:00,  there  was  the  one-hour BBC  world service news programme , and  Julian  Marshall  or  his  colleagues  would  bring  me  news  around  the  world .  Julian  Marshall  and  Owen  Bennette  Jones  were  just  two  names  of  a  team ,  as  far  as  I   can  remember  now .

That  was  an  evening  routine  of  my  university  days , to  improve the  listening skill  of  the  English  language  and  to  kill  the  insomnia  .  Recently ,  the  insomnia  re-visited  me ;  it  reminds  me  of  the  old friends  and  the  classroom-pen-dormitory  years .  A  period  of  stressed,  monotoned  and  colorless  years  far  from  the  so-called  hilarious  college  day now .  Perhaps  it's  the  internet   changes  people's  lifestyle .  Kids  now  don't  use  the  short-wave  radio  to  learn  English ,  they  go  to  the internet  directly  .  There  are  news , magazines , blogs ,novels  and  videos  on  the  web ---anything  you  can  imagine ! 

Also  are  the  facebook  ,  wee-chat ,  wee-blog  ,  friends- circle   that  suround  you, influence  you   and  change  you  .  The  old  saying  of " It's  a  shame  to  be  a friedless  person . "get  a  more  virtual  meaning . Now  it's  a  shame  to  be  a  smart-phone-less  person .  This  situation  takes  me  quite  a  while  to  re-ajust  as  I'm  a  totall  coputer-blind  .

Today  I  got  a  message  from  my  high-school-mates  circle  that   an  alumnia- gathering  would    be   on  the  way  next  month and  the  fee  collected  through  the  e-bank .  And  sometimes  I  really  have  a  impluse  to  ask  about  Julian  Mashall  through  the  e-BBC .

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray
Like 0 Share

Comment (0 comments)

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

• A Tale of Two Cities 2014-5-24 00:06

I love Beijing. It's where I met that special someone in my life =)

• Mother's Day Gift 2014-5-13 20:31

ColinSpeakman: That is very thoughtful and I assume came as a surprise? Sometimes, surprises are nice!
    It's  a  huge  relief .

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

Most Viewed

Room

views

Most commented

Room

comments

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.