Readers’ Blog

The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle

Viewed 907 times 2014-6-28 19:22 |System category:News

Have you ever seen the smash-hit British TV drama Downtown Abbey? I saw it,and I was totally engrossed in it,for its wonderful gardens,stunning rooms,as well as the elegant life of the British aristocracy.But not until I read the book The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle,I got a deeper understanding about this grand estate.

Highclere Castle is one of the great British stately homes, familiar to the wider Anglophile world as the location for the TV drama Downtown Abbey.And the book is written by its current chatelaine, Lady Fiona, the Countess of Carnarvon, penning an account of Almina Carnarvon, the enormously wealthy heiress who, in 1895, married the fifth Earl of Carnarvon.The book not contains many references to Downtown Abbey, but it is a fascinating insight into how the seriously rich once lived.And the book authentically records how lady Almina,as a startlingly pretty 19-year-old girl,became the Countess of Carnarvon,when running water was installed in Highclere,how the seriously rich family entertained the British royal family,and how the Highclere castle was converted into a state-of-the-art hospital during the war.

Many fans cant tolerate the new plots after the death of the leading role,Mathew.Well,the book is exactly prepared for such guys,for it disclosing all living creatures during the age of turbulence.You will find it is about a real life and fresh beings,rather than a script.

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray
Like 0 Share

Comment (0 comments)

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

• A Weird Snack 2014-5-25 23:27

You will need to come up with a catchy name for it!

• Colorful Beef 2014-5-24 18:07

ColinSpeakman: The different meanings of beef.. Really give you food for thought!      Nice  to see these kinds of posts!
       Thanks for your encouragement!!I am a glutton who interested in finding the "secrets" of delicious food!

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.