Readers’ Blog

Shenzhen Airport

Popularity 6Viewed 2114 times 2015-3-11 11:27 |Personal category:Consulting|System category:Economy| Travel

I really enjoy being in Shenzhen Airport. The first time I was in Shenzhen Airport with enough time to relax, I felt captivated by this pretty pattern in the floor,

The hexagonal lights with straighedge shadows are an effect from the holes in the ceiling reflected in the floor.

So one day, I decided to spend very much of a day in the airport walking around, thinking about space, and taking photos. Here is the view from Starbucks.

Notice we see light from the holes in the ceiling through the holes in the black decoration around Starbucks, and also, see the yellow and blue light bounce a little way away from its cause.

The next two photos are rotated ninety degrees in opposite directions to see the 3D effect.

The symmetry seems convincing.

The gap offset from center in the blue and white advertisement is caused by the way light reflects in the floor. The reflection seems to exclude a little of the base where the two images meet, and the two parts together (unlit) make the illusion of a gap, in contrast with the real gap behind the advertisement. The reflection isn't supposed to exclude any. Maybe the semblance of an exclusion is from unaligned gaps: the semblance unaligned with the real.

Here is the ceiling oriented correctly,

Inside this wonderous lightshow at Shenzhen Airport are live plants, including this Angel Leaf Begonia,

I grew up with an Angel Leaf Begonia. As I grew through childhood, I watched it grow. during its first year alone with me in 1990, it bloomed! It's previous bloom was in 1983, my mother let me know, which I had missed since I wasn't paying enough attention to it then. When I graduated from Dalhousie University in 1994 and relocated to Vancouver, Canada, for graduate studies with the Borweins in mathematics, I could not take with me the plants I had nurtured. Gretchen Smith of the Chase Building in Dalhousie University let me give my plants to the math (and computing science) department, so the plants can live. Subsequent visits showed the professors felt inspired to make a whole indoor garden in the area, including growing tomatoes and eggplants inside the department of mathematics. The huge Angel Leaf Begonia of my childhood is among the many plants adopted by my professors.

http://www.dal.ca/news/2011/06/10/going_the_extra_mileforstudents.html

http://www.dal.ca/news/today/2012/10/19/retirement_party_for_gretchen_smith.html

http://www.dal.ca/faculty/science/math-stats.html

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray

Friends who just made a statement (2 Person)

Like 0 Share

Comment Comment (6 comments)

Reply Report SEARU 2015-3-12 20:36
Magic things as if we were in dream!----------(MY feeling about the first five photos.)
Reply Report ColinSpeakman 2015-3-13 08:37
SEARU: Magic things as if we were in dream!----------(MY feeling about the first five photos.)
In an airport like this, one might even hope for a flight delay!   
Reply Report TedM 2015-3-15 10:29
I greatly admire and appreciate the old and the most modern Chinese architecture. I have always loved to take photos of the wonderful pictures, and the colourful dragons on old buildings. Likewise, the bridges, new railway stations and airports here are spectacular as well as functional. Even some new housing blocks look beautiful.... although endlessly repeated over many kilometres.

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

• Education Methods 2020-1-7 20:25

Then, IF you are the Secretary General of the United Nations, how do you tell the young students of the world what is going on in our world and, how to do is the right way

• Education Methods 2020-1-5 01:54

snowipine: Punishment strictly following the rules is always the last resort , usually we don't this way, but if here is no other wayout, how to do ?  I guess.
    Thanks for your comment, Snowpine. In schools and in prisons, we shouldn't feel trapped into punishments as persuasion or as motivation. We should be able to use rewards systems. What inspired my blog entry is thinking about the failed terrorist reform efforts, like Gitmo, and why they fail. Negativity doesn't cause improvements and secrecy just makes it worse, but rewards systems may work. It's unclear though since terrorists are different from students and normal prisoners.

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.