Readers’ Blog

Stupidest Question Ever Thrown at Me in China

Popularity 15Viewed 4765 times 2014-5-15 11:11 |Personal category:Culture shock|System category:Life| actually, nothing, Chinese, outside, closed

Well, I have had my share, my big share of stupid, awkward and weird questions thrown at me in China. I actually have come to accept it all and to secretly declare that the Chinese nation might be the only nation that is so closed to the outside world that it knows next to nothing about the world...mind the repetition. 

I have been asked awkward questions such as: Why is your skin black, but that was from a child. The most shocking question thrown at me was from a fully grown lady, studying her masters degree.

She was browsing my pictures on Wechat and she comes across one of me in a jacket sitting in a bright yellow car, fancy car. And she dropped the bomb, she was like: "Africa is in the tropics, why did you wear jacket in the picture?" 

I did not even answer, i simple took her off my list, but kept the screenshot because it is a memory i want to keep forever. 

1. She somehow thinks all of Africa is in the tropics, which is, geographically speaking, not entirely true.

2. She is assuming that the tropics are too hot that wearing a jacket there is haram? Well, i grew up in a town called Livingstonia and there the highest temperature we could get was 32 degrees which is way way fairer than Jinan in China where the temperatures shoot to 40. Would she believe it if i told her i was from the tropics but currently finding it hard to sleep in the China heat?

2.0. And do the people in Jinan, not throw in a Jacket now and then not even when they are driving a car without a roof?

Story of my life.

I really want to see the Chinese syllabus on History and Geography, what do they learn and why are they oblivious to some very basic basics of the world?  

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray

Friends who just made a statement (2 Person)

Like 0 Share

Comment Comment (30 comments)

Reply Report teamkrejados 2014-5-17 08:54
I can sympathize with you about the absurd questions... I think every expat has had their share. I've been asked why I'm so tall! Nevertheless, my friend: I think this could have been an occasion to enlighten her. After all: aren't we expats here to help broaden natives' perspective?
Wish you a great day!
Reply Report sunrainn 2014-5-17 16:45

Reply Report ntaba 2014-5-17 17:19
Stupidest questions.... LOL
How about "Is your blood also red ?" No jokes, No exaggerations. I really had this one.
Reply Report PatrickInBeijin 2014-5-18 08:37
Now, if you were her teacher, you could assign her the task of doing research and answering the question herself!!  I think the new CCTV shows on Africa and the Americas will help, but it will take time.  To be honest, I think a lot of Americans may be equally ignorant, but they don't usually travel!  LOL.
Reply Report bex 2014-5-18 10:11
haha... I laughed when I saw what her question is, im sure she was intend to make a friendly joke but it just off common sense and the way she was asking is not amusing but make herself look stupid.. now everyone browsed this post remembered her
Reply Report bex 2014-5-18 10:12
ntaba: Stupidest questions.... LOL
How about "Is your blood also red ?" No jokes, No exaggerations. I really had this one.
hahaha your friend probably watched too much "star crossed"  
Reply Report Maierwei 2014-5-18 12:20
Of course it's blue!
Reply Report Maierwei 2014-5-18 12:23
Wait, you have jackets in Africa???  

Actually a grown up man asked a friend of mine why he is black. He really did! He worded it differently though. My friend said he is from France, and he actually said fRRRRance which leaves no doubt. And the guy pointed tothe skin on his hand, and asked "Why not white?"
Reply Report 286633460 2014-5-18 13:36
Sorry for that stupid questions troubling you. But I am afraid that you should be wise to remember no one know everything ,everyone will asked stupid question.  westerners always ask if my hair color is natural color.you see That is about culture and history and we pay attention to different things . that's all . and I am feel so sorry to see that you took her off your list. no offence. I know it's your bussiness.but  it show that this girl wanted to be friendly to you and care about you but you just be remove her from your list .hope you can rethink next time when you faced with that situation.
Reply Report mutafire 2014-5-18 19:58
286633460: Sorry for that stupid questions troubling you. But I am afraid that you should be wise to remember no one know everything ,everyone will asked stupid  ...
you speak well... you looked at this issue wisely... i was hazed with resignation when i got that comment...but that said, i am one of the most approachable guys out there...
Reply Report mutafire 2014-5-18 20:00
teamkrejados: I can sympathize with you about the absurd questions... I think every expat has had their share. I've been asked why I'm so tall! Nevertheless, my fri ...
You are right! That was back when i was new...now i accept everything that come to me, even guys wanting to see me naked online...not that i strip for them...but i am that accepting
Reply Report mutafire 2014-5-18 20:00
Get a knife...when you get it again, clip off some skin and show some red ink
Reply Report mutafire 2014-5-18 20:02
PatrickInBeijin: Now, if you were her teacher, you could assign her the task of doing research and answering the question herself!!  I think the new CCTV shows on Afri ...
Hahaha, you had to pick Americans as comparison? Americans are some of the most ill-informed on the planet...they look at the world according to their army's prescription and the CIA's angle
Reply Report mutafire 2014-5-18 20:03
bex: haha... I laughed when I saw what her question is, im sure she was intend to make a friendly joke but it just off common sense and the way she w ...
Hahaha, its true...ts true, but the picture was just to display the question, its good that noone can identify her by just looking at the picture
Reply Report mutafire 2014-5-18 20:04
Maierwei: Wait, you have jackets in Africa???   

Actually a grown up man asked a friend of mine why he is black. He really did! He worded it differently  ...
Hahahaha, for real? Well, not to kill his gig...but Europe, or America does not really accept people of other shades, so the inquirer was on a good lead...
Reply Report teamkrejados 2014-5-18 21:33
mutafire: You are right! That was back when i was new...now i accept everything that come to me, even guys wanting to see me naked online...not that i strip for ...
Part hero, part freak of the day... a difficult situation to get used to. I feel for you, my friend. Glad you adjusted. Have a great week.
Reply Report Maierwei 2014-5-18 21:45
mutafire: Hahahaha, for real? Well, not to kill his gig...but Europe, or America does not really accept people of other shades, so the inquirer was on a good le ...
I have a friend from north Africa and he is white. People think he's joking. Go figure!

The last time he was asked why he's white, he said "I stayed at home for too long"....  
Reply Report 286633460 2014-5-19 09:22
mutafire: you speak well... you looked at this issue wisely... i was hazed with resignation when i got that comment...but that said, i am one of the most approa ...
Thanks your honest attitude.and I also think you are an approachable guy ,also hope you can have a good time in China.
Reply Report claudeckenni 2014-5-20 08:59
"Is Indonesia a part of Bali?"
That's the stupidest question a Chinese ever asked me, and I can only answer with a silent Facepalm...
Reply Report mutafire 2014-5-20 09:03
claudeckenni: "Is Indonesia a part of Bali?"
That's the stupidest question a Chinese ever asked me, and I can only answer with a silent Facepalm... ...
hahahahahahaha for real?

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.