Readers’ Blog

1 in 10 International Tourists is now Chinese...But...

Popularity 7Viewed 1821 times 2014-4-28 09:42 |Personal category:Commentary|System category:Economy| Chinese, Tourism

Good news keeps pouring for China. The Middle Kingdom is enjoying a good run, I dare say.

'
Nearly one in ten international tourists worldwide is now Chinese, with 97.3m outward-bound journeys from the country last year, of which around half were for leisure. 

'Chinese tourists spend most in total ($129 billion in 2013, followed by Americans at $86 billion) and per tax-free transaction ($1,130 compared with $494 by Russians). More than 80% say that shopping is vital to their plans, compared with 56% of Middle Eastern tourists and 48% of Russians. They are expected to buy more luxury goods next year while abroad than tourists from all other countries combined.'

Oh, that is a quote from The Economist...

My but comes in because despite the staggering figures, only 5% of the Chinese owns passports. It is thus either the fact that the nation is on the rise or that there is huge income gaps in China that need patching up.

How can 5% only cause such global shifts? It means they have huge amounts of money and that is a sign that the rest have very little. And yes, i read somewhere that about 400 million Chinese live on less than 3 Dollars a day, that is almost half of Africa's population living in somewhat deplorable conditions

On the Brighter side, Chinese are getting to know more of the world, they are one of the few nations that almost doesn't know about the rest of the world and this trend is a good development. 

Already in Africa there are now about a million Chinese working, living or doing business there. 

Enough said 

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray
Like 0 Share

Comment Comment (9 comments)

Reply Report ColinSpeakman 2014-4-29 09:50
And the West welcomes their high spending, However mainland Chinese going to Hong Kong counts as an international departure and that is in the stats. It is very convenient for Chinese to visit Hong Kong both on travel time and cost of travel. The lower taxes on luxury goods and tax free shopping within limits encourages this shopping alongside the wider availability of some brands. However some Hong Kong locals do not seem to welcome the shopping behavior of mainlanders. Some come just to clear shelves of baby milk!   
Reply Report voice_cd 2014-4-29 09:51
Thanks for sharing your story here, we have highlighted your blog.
Reply Report 财神 2014-4-29 19:42
Chinese are now becoming worlds Tourism power. Chinese are Number one tourist source of the world. give and take or exchange of tourism Chinese are being more comfortable. though there are so many places in china which they can enjoy for their lifetime.
Reply Report ColinSpeakman 2014-4-29 21:38
Chinese are also finding it easier to get visas to go and do this tourism! Anybody would think that the west needs the money!
Reply Report objchina 2014-4-30 07:06
ColinSpeakman: Chinese are also finding it easier to get visas to go and do this tourism! Anybody would think that the west needs the money!
The west needs the dough.
Reply Report claudeckenni 2014-5-2 17:28
On the Brighter side, Chinese are getting to know more of the world, they are one of the few nations that almost doesn't know about the rest of the world and this trend is a good development.  ---> Thanks to "The Great Firewall of China" LOL
Reply Report mutafire 2014-5-2 20:21
claudeckenni: On the Brighter side, Chinese are getting to know more of the world, they are one of the few nations that almost doesn't know about the rest of the wo ...
And their pride as the go-to nation ... the Chinese feel like they are a special people, in doing that they assume that other peoples are common ...
Reply Report CuteMandy 2014-5-3 12:08
ColinSpeakman: And the West welcomes their high spending, However mainland Chinese going to Hong Kong counts as an international departure and that is in the stats.  ...
As a mainlander, I don't like the Hong Kong locals. Without people, there can't be a big city; without transactions, there can't be called economic development; without tourists, no city can't have much change. Maybe the HK locals just envy and then make complaints for their soul's equal.
Reply Report ColinSpeakman 2014-5-3 12:17
CuteMandy: As a mainlander, I don't like the Hong Kong locals. Without people, there can't be a big city; without transactions, there can't be called economic de ...
There is definitely some envy in HK of the high spending mainlanders. And HK has many challenges of life for the low paid there. I visit quite often! I am not a high spender though!

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.