Readers’ Blog

我的英语学习之路 - 垃圾箱里升起的希望

Viewed 1621 times 2014-5-4 23:54 |Personal category:English|System category:Others

2. 垃圾箱里升起的希望

一天,收音机里一个令人吃惊的声音把我从白日梦中吵醒: “把你的字典扔进垃圾箱”。 “快读!多读!多猜!” 至此为止,我已经用传统的英语学习方式奋斗了一年多,毫无进展。无奈之下,我决定试一下。

我从图书馆借了很多英文书,只要这一本的故事变得没兴趣,我就扔掉,捡起下一本。就这样,我通常会在几天内读完一本书。一学期共读了30多本。几个月后,我对英语的感觉变了。英文已逐渐渗透到我的身体。自那时起我从未摸个英汉字典,也未背过单词卡。如果我必需查字典,我用英英字典。

具有讽刺意味的​​是,在我扔掉字典,单词卡,和语法书后,我的英语考分反儿提高了。不久,我从C班跳到B班,期末考试得分最高。我也赢得北京高校英语竞赛一等奖。

English Version

One day a startling voice from a radio woke me up. “Throw your dictionary into the rubbish bin”, screamed an English man to his listeners. “Read rapidly and read a lot, and try to guess the meaning of a new word in its context.”

At that point, I had already struggled in the traditional way of learning English for more than a year and had m​​ade little progress. In desperation, I decided to follow the advice of that crazy English man.

I started to check out a lot of English books from the library with titles that seemed interesting, but would throw a book away as soon as I l​​ost interest in its story. In that fashion I would typically finish a book in a few days and in all I must have read more than 30 books that semester.

In a few months, my feelings for English changed. No longer an alien that I had to wrestle with, the language had gradually infiltrated into my body. Not once since then had I touched an English-Chinese dictionary, and best of all, not once did I have to memorize those dreadful decks of cards with English words on one side and their Chinese translations on the other. If I did have to look up a word in dictionary, I used an English-English dictionary.

Ironically, after I threw away the dictionary, the deck of English cards, and the grammar book, my test scores in English class actually improved. Soon I moved up from level C to level B and at the end of that same school year I scored highest in my English B final. I also won the first prize in a city-wide English competition with participants from all colleges in Beijing.

Needless to say, my method of studying English had saved me.

More than thirty years later, on a train to my hometown in south west China, as I was conversing with my son in mixed English and Chinese, a young man approached us and asked how I learned English. He told me that he was struggling through exactly the same thing I had thirty years ago at Tsinghua. At that moment I realized that I should share my method so that more people would not have to go through what I did years ago.

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray
Like 0 Share

Comment (0 comments)

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

• 中国教育 2014-5-3 14:29

Yes education should encourage investigation, reflection, evaluation and not just the learning of facts. Sometimes facts are wrong!

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

Most commented

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.