Readers’ Blog

Lies, Statistics and Politics

Viewed 494 times 2015-9-9 10:01 |Personal category:Quote Me|System category:Life| lies

I suppose many of us have heard of the saying Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics in referring to the various degrees of lies. It is perhaps fitting that politicians quote statistics, often s-e-l-e-c- tively and reveal their true mindset.

When it comes to pollution of the environment due to wasteful human consumption, Australia with its low population emits a small percentage of the whole. However, if measured per capita - it ranks as one of the top polluters. Our esteemed Prime Minister and many that follow his way of thinking, never tire of always mentioning the  overall percentage contribution of Australia to global warming and seek to avoid undertaking to reduce consumption. They will simply ignore any mention of per capita emission or consumption.

Now, when it comes to support for Syrian refugees fleeing their ravaged country and society, suddenly the Prime Minister and like- minded politicians have suddenly started mentioning per capita in every sentence referring to the aid for refugees or the number of intake of refugees from that area. With a smaller base population, suddenly per capita of Australia sounds better than the overall percentage it contributes!

It is politics as usual. I suppose the saying should be - Liars, Damned Liars and Politicians!

(Opinions of the writer in this blog don't represent those of China Daily.)

Passing

Eggs

Flowers

Shake hands

Ray
Like 0 Share

Comment (0 comments)

facelist doodle Doodle board

You need to login to comment Login | register

Album

Recent comments

Star blogger

Anming

views

Maierwei

views

财神

views

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.