Views: 8971|Replies: 8

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 7) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-6-3 17:31:10 |Display all floors
Thank every member who answered readers' questions from last time. Chinese English learners from Wechat are very happy to recieve your replies. Here are more questions from them:

1.Father’s Day nears. How do people in your country usually spend or celebrate the day? Are there any stories about the origin of the day?

2. What kind of wine would westerners like to drink for their meals? How to order wines when dining in restaurants? What particular points should we be careful about when ordering wines?

3. What is clinical professor? How to evaluate and grant professional titles in western countries? How many grades are there for those professional titles?

4. Did you ever watch the Season 1 & 2 food documentary of A Bite of China? What is your view about the documentary? Do you like Chinese food? What’s your favorite Chinese dish? Did you ever cook Chinese food at home?

5. As 2014 World Cup is approaching, do western girls like watching the games? Why? Do they love the game itself, for those handsome players, or for the hilarious air of watching the game with friends? If their partners neglect them for the game, what can they do?

The previous rounds:
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-974617-1-1.htmlhttp://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-971597-1-1.html
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/thread-966834-1-1.html
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=963247&extra=page%3D1
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=959318&extra=page%3D1
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=956074&highlight=English%2Bexperts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-3 21:39:15 |Display all floors
There are different versions of origins of Father's Day. The most accepted in USA is:

It originated in USA and thereafter the tradition spread in countries around the world, thanks to Ms Sonora Louise Smart Dodd a loving daughter from Spokane, Washington. as it is because of her struggle that Father's Day saw the light of the day.

The idea of Father's Day celebration originated in Sonora's mind when she per chance listened to Mother's Day sermon in 1909. Fairly mature at the age 27, Sonora pondered if there is a day to honor mother then why not for father? Sonora felt strongly for fathers because of the affection she received from her own father Mr William Jackson Smart, a Civil War veteran. Sonora's mother died while childbirth when she was just 16. Mr Smart raised the newborn and five other children with love and care.

Inspired by Ms Anna Jarvis's struggle to promote Mother's Day, Ms Dodd began a rigorous campaign to celebrate Father's Day in US. The Spokane Ministerial Association and the local Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) supported Sonora's cause. As a result Spokane celebrated its first Father's Day on June 19, 1910. Though there was initial hesitation the idea gained gradual popularity all over US and Fathers Day came to be celebrated in cities across the country.

Looking at the heightened popularity of Father's Day in US, President Woodrow Wilson approved of this idea in 1916. President Calvin Coolidge too supported the idea of a national Father's Day in 1924 to, "establish more intimate relations between fathers and their children and to impress upon fathers the full measure of their obligations". After a protracted struggle of over four decades, President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the third Sunday of June as Father's Day in 1966. Then in 1972, President Richard Nixon established a permanent national observance of Father's Day to be held on the third Sunday of June. Sonora Smart Dodd was honored for her contribution at the World's Fair in Spokane in 1974. Mrs. Dodd died in 1978 at age 96.
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-3 21:45:52 |Display all floors
Wine! Well that depends where in the Western World you are. In USA, the California coast hot weather produces some great wines and Chardonnay is often thought of there - though a little sweet for my taste. There are passable White Wines in UK, but of course we import great French, Spanish, Italian and other European wines. It is a matter of taste which kinds people drink. There is the historic idea of white with fish and red with meat, but that is no so often applied now. A light red like a Beaujolais may suit some, or a richer Merlot another. Personally I llike a white called Pinot Grigio, and it is less likely to give me a headache than a heavy red.
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-3 23:31:08 |Display all floors
Fathers Day: I think about him often and carry his traits with me every day. He died in 1984 at 54 years old.
Wines: Red or whites according to the food. I like a New Zealand Sav. Blanc with light foods, (Fish, Chinese or spicy foods). We par our wines with the foods.
A Bite of China: Very well done. I liked season one better. I have not eaten western food in over 2 years. Only Chinese food. My wife is a great cook. Hot Pot!
World Cup: We know it as Soccer. Most watch American Football. Ladies are enjoying the games more now than ever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-4 00:37:56 |Display all floors
On professors, we would not actually say professional titles - professions are like lawyer, accountant, medical doctor. We would say professorial titles. In USA you have instructors, then Assistant Professors, Associate Professors and Professors (meaning Full Professors) There are also Departmental Chairs and Deans (and Associate Deans) mainly for administration. In UK it is different. Only  a full Professor is called a Professor. UK uses Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Principal Lecturer, Reader and Professor. These last two are usually academic related, but in Higher Education, the promoted lecturer posts may be for administrative duties. There are also Heads of Departments - administrative. I was once a Senior Lecturer in UK system.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-6-4 09:01:48 |Display all floors
As others have tackled questions 1, and 3 with clarity I'll deal with question 2 & 5.

2) Wines.  Wines come in literally hundreds of varieties, there are the classic varieties such as Champagne, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Chenin blanc, Merlot, Pinot noir, Riesling, Sauvignon blanc, Semillon and Syrah which cover just about every major food group and then there are emerging on to the global scene more varieties such as Muscat, Mourvedre, Tempranillo, Sangiovese, Nebbiolo, Gewürztraminer, Pinot blanc, Pinot gris etc, many of which are regional wines.

As a general guide wines should be mated with the food type being eaten.
A few examples are:

Chardonnay pairs well with white fish, grilled poultry, fruits, and cheeses such as brie, camembert and Roquefort.

Sauvignon Blanc pairs well with creamy/buttery meals, shellfish, crab, lobster as well as white meats including pork and poultry.

Pinot Gris pairs well with harder, stronger cheeses such as parmesan, asiago pasta dishes, as well as white meats including pork chops, chicken dishes.

Riesling is a versatile wine for pairing with food, because of its balance of sugar and acidity. It can be paired with white fish or pork, and is one of the few wines that can stand up to the stronger flavours and spices of Thai and Chinese cuisine. Serve chilled.

There are literally tens of thousands of pages of information online about which wines are suitable for virtually every food.  As for brand, a big price wine is often to indistinguishable to the average drinker from a cheap bottle.  As long as you like the taste of it then it's fine.

4) I've not seen that series. I don't think it's been aired in Australia or at least I'm not aware of it being shown here.

5) The World Cup.  Frankly most women find football about as interesting as watching two flies crawl up a wall.  Some women try to like the game and a few really do like it. It depends on the woman, her tastes and so on. It's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string?  Many women I know will provide the food for their husbands and beer etc and then do their own thing.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-6-4 10:30:14 |Display all floors
Plenty of people have given an answer to the wine question, so I'll try to add a different twist. A rose, or blush wine is a good dessert wine as they tend to be a bit sweeter.
Red wines are in dark bottles because light will affect their flavor. White wines are in clear bottles so you can judge the sweetness. The darker yellow, the sweeter the wine. The clearer, the dryer. I like a semi-dry white wine for sipping.
Not all red wines should be chilled! Some reds, like Beaujolais or even table wine should be drunk at room temperature. You should open the bottle about 15 minutes before serving in order to release its bouquet.
How to serve wine: Upon opening the bottle, the host takes the first pour, but not a full glass. Just enough to pour out the cork dust. Pour for your lady guests first, and then their men.
If you collect wine, reds should be stored on their side in a dark, cool environment. You should rotate the bottles about every 3 to 6 months so that the sediment flows and is recaptured in the liquid.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.