Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 5)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-23 21:14:30 |Display all floors
teamkrejados Post time: 2014-5-23 12:52
"One the one hand/on the other hand" is meant to be a contrast statement, in which the writer states ...

One of my favorite joke responses to this phrase is: on the one hand I really like you, on the other hand are 4 fingers and a thumb!
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-23 23:20:54 |Display all floors
The misuses word I think is "Despite". many people write or say "Despite of" . "of" with "In Spite"  is correct.. In spite of the fact.....etc. In case of Despite, de is already serving the meaning of being something off or minus. I would be really thankful if someone can add or correct me....
jabin

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-5-24 07:30:22 |Display all floors
ColinSpeakman Post time: 2014-5-23 21:14
One of my favorite joke responses to this phrase is: on the one hand I really like you, on the oth ...

The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-24 08:06:58 |Display all floors
Jabin Post time: 2014-5-23 15:20
The misuses word I think is "Despite". many people write or say "Despite of" . "of" with "In Spite"  ...

Totally correct member Jabin. In spite of is often used in contrast with because of. Sometimes we do not know whether to give credit or not for something.. So a common phrase is : in spite of the loss of a key player to a bad tackle and injury, or because of it, the team played with great spirit in the second half. Thus the injury was a handicap, but it could actually have motivated them. So, we can replace in spite of with despite. Thus, despite the loss of a key player etc. Unfortunately, since there is an of after because (that does not change)', many people think that there needs to be an of after despite to balance. There does not! Despite alone means in spite of.
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-5-24 08:25:42 |Display all floors
Jabin Post time: 2014-5-23 23:20
The misuses word I think is "Despite". many people write or say "Despite of" . "of" with "In Spite"  ...

'Despite' (preposition) is an archaic term for 'in spite of' but this term is sometimes used to give a deliberately old-fashioned flavour or effect in literary works.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-24 11:14:57 From mobile |Display all floors
mutafire Posted On  2 DayEarlier 13:44
If you want to share the costs of a meal...say: 'let us go Dutch'...

Well,from my point of view,that depends on whom I am eating with.If with my families or honey,I would like to foot the bill without any hesitation.But if some casual friends,the case maybe the same ,in this situation ,the best policy is that make friends informed the ways of paying in advance.Then,the awkwardness can be avoided,and a happy ending will be got.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-24 12:16:12 |Display all floors
Jason2014 Post time: 2014-5-24 03:14
Well,from my point of view,that depends on whom I am eating with.If with my families or honey,I wo ...

Paying for a meal needs thought. However don't some Chinese "fight" over who pays before one side gives in? .. a matter of pride!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.