Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 5)   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-5-22 22:13:33 |Display all floors
LoneAcorn Post time: 2014-5-22 14:20
Some of the common misused words in English, even by native speakers:

"alot" (non-existent word)

Inflammable has been dropped as a scientific term. It is now a redundant word.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-22 23:14:36 |Display all floors
mutafire Post time: 2014-5-22 05:49
Misused words: 1. Literary - only use that word when you have concrete comparison - so dont say 'am  ...

Mutafire, my friend .. Isn't the reference to literary actually better understood as literally?
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-23 00:46:20 |Display all floors
ColinSpeakman Post time: 2014-5-22 23:14
Mutafire, my friend .. Isn't the reference to literary actually better understood as literally?

hahahah, yes!
'Think for your damn selves' - Confucius

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-23 06:27:26 |Display all floors
1. Ever heard about AA meetings? Alcoholics Anonymous. Its a real meeting very powerful organization that operates in the USA. Thousands and thousands of people changed their way following AA's 12 step program.

2. Ebay.com , Amazon.com is one of the two biggest platforms of E-Commerce in the USA.

3. Gay is the most misused word I think. It's an adjective to describe overly joyful state of mind. Not a homosexuals. The word "Gay" is also used to describe "less of something" in the slang English in the USA. Example: "Dude that game is so gay, don't buy it" (This electronic entertainment article you intent to purchase, does not suit the standard of "good")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-23 09:19:54 |Display all floors
I think between us, our community has covered this very well! We need the next questions!
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-23 12:10:37 |Display all floors
AA use by Chinese to mean split the bill. It comes from the Latin. It is found in UK  only on medical prescriptions where Latin abbreviations are used to guide the pharmacist. The Latin word ana means in equal amounts and is abbreviated to a.a. However most English would not be aware of these initials? In mathematics A.A. is used as shorthand for Algebraic Average but again most would not recognize it. In fact in UK, AA is used for two concepts. The Automobile Association and Alcoholics Anonymous. So it would certainly be confusing if we said: let's AA at a meal.  I would advise dropping the idea that AA could be a western expression. It is just that Chinese using Mandarin have a word for AA.

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-5-23 20:52:05 |Display all floors
"One the one hand/on the other hand" is meant to be a contrast statement, in which the writer states a good thing and a bad thing about the topic s/he is writing about. For example: "The group's survival was doubtful. On the one hand, they had plenty of water. On the other hand, they had no more food."
Too many times I've seen this contrast statement used as a statement of accord. For example: "On the one hand, he loved her. On the other hand, he wanted to marry her." Those are both good things that support the idea that 'they' are in love.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.