Author: voice_cd

What’s your favorite China book?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-4-19 17:40:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tedbrent at 2014-4-19 18:52
Jaee Post time: 2014-4-19 13:52
Certainly,I know that the author is not a historian.Surely,I know something about Ming,and
I a ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-19 17:42:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tedbrent at 2014-4-19 18:52
Certainly,I know that the author is not a historian.Surely,I know something about Ming,and
I a ...

Ming might not have been conquered by Qing had the Ming chosen not to unveil the  “sea ban” policy, which insulated Ming from expanding its cultural influence and  trading  with other foreign powers. It would have been better off  without the 宦官制度 in which  bellicose   eunuchs  were allowed to hold court with venal  high officials and even sway  public opinion. At the time,   some  eunuchs' opinions held sway and the emperor reportedly made decisions based on loopy and blinkered   suggestions proffered  by the high-ranking   eunuchs  in charge of 东厂. And that's why lots of decent  mandarins or even generals  became the victims of the  daffy  宦官制度 , thanks to their reluctance to play ball with 东厂.

崇祯, the last emperor of Ming, seemed to have realized the devastating effects of upholding 宦官制度. Deciding to reclaim his leadership, he set about eradicating the terrible 宦官制度, particulary the beneficiaries or ringleaders of this hierarchical 宦官制度 . He went out with a bang; the biggest villain, 魏忠贤, commited suicide after realizing that he would have to face the music. Yet   崇祯's stated goal to have an overhaul of his court turned out to be another flop because the timing was not right for him. For a start, groups of disaffected   rebels or  peasants, whose livelihoods  had been destroyed by famine and floods,   had formed alliances  , declaring a war against Ming. Worst yet,  Ming was also wrestling with 皇太极 and his  abominable  Manchu dynasty. As a result,  the feeble 崇祯's kingdom, Ming,  went under eventually.

It was   a bummer for the Han because they had to be in in thrall to  Manchu dynasty's cultural  oppression.  Actually, the Han had been the slaves of Qing for years  until Sun came to the fore and set up his National Party, which is called KMT now.

Personally, I dis 清宫戏, including  甄嬛传. I wouldn't watch TV productions like 甄嬛传.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-19 18:53:28 |Display all floors
I a ...

Ming might not have been conquered by Qing had the Ming chosen not to unveil the  “sea ban” policy, which insulated Ming from expanding its cultural influence and  trading  with other foreign powers. It would have been better off  without the 宦官制度 in which  bellicose   eunuchs  were allowed to hold court with venal  high officials and even sway  public opinion. At the time,   some  eunuchs' opinions held sway and the emperor reportedly made decisions based on loopy and blinkered   suggestions proffered  by the high-ranking   eunuchs  in charge of 东厂. And that's why lots of decent  mandarins or even generals  became the victims of the  daffy  宦官制度 , thanks to their reluctance to play ball with 东厂.

崇祯, the last emperor of Ming, seemed to have realized the devastating effects of upholding 宦官制度. Deciding to reclaim his leadership, he set about eradicating the terrible 宦官制度, particulary the beneficiaries or ringleaders of this hierarchical 宦官制度 . He went out with a bang; the biggest villain, 魏忠贤, commited suicide after realizing that he would have to face the music. Yet   崇祯's stated goal to have an overhaul of his court turned out to be another flop because the timing was not right for him. For a start, groups of disaffected   rebels or  peasants, whose livelihoods  had been destroyed by famine and floods,   had formed alliances  , declaring a war against Ming. Worst yet,  Ming was also wrestling with 皇太极 and his  abominable  Manchu dynasty. As a result,  the feeble 崇祯's kingdom, Ming,  went under eventually.

It was  a bummer for the Han because they had to be in in thrall to  Manchu dynasty's cultural  oppression.  Actually, the Han had been the slaves of Qing for years  until Sun came to the fore and set up his National Party, which is called KMT now.

Personally, I dis 清宫戏, including  甄嬛传. I wouldn't watch TV productions like 甄嬛传.

Use magic tools Report

Elite Member

Snowipine

Glod Medal Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-4-19 22:27:53 |Display all floors
  1. Shih Chi
Copy code
written by Sima Qian

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-21 20:37:39 From mobile |Display all floors
Jaee Posted On  2 DayEarlier 09:18
《Something about Ming Dynasty》, a history book telling about Ming Dynasty from the founding emperor...

i do agree with you.when i was in high school,i  often read these books during the break time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-29 05:49:25 |Display all floors
I have read The Good Earth and The Joy Luck Club.  I enjoyed both of these books very much.

I want to read many more books about China.  I admit I do not read many history books, but I do love novels that will give me more insight into the history and culture of the Chinese people.  I am very interested in seeing what books others here in the forum will recommend.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-1 09:07:11 |Display all floors
Great insights on this thread.  Thank you - to all who post(ed)!
From a Chinese view point , written in English,  what
other books could you  recommend?  
With so many ethnic diversities, dialects, etc. in "China"  ,
so long a history....   This should be a long.... long list..
OK I Will start with one known in the west as
"the Tibetian Book of the Dead"  ...... fascinating!!!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.