Author: voice_cd

What's your impression on Nanluoguxiang?     [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2014-2-25 23:39:38 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-26 00:07:35 |Display all floors

"Gong Show" it will certainly be "Gonged Out"!

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-2-26 01:05:54 |Display all floors
Congratulations to President Xi for getting out amongst the people but these Hutongs are now tourist traps, not what the should be.

Most Chinese cities have destroyed their heritage and demolished most of the traditional buildings and often what is left is a shadow of what it once was.

The Hutongs here as are the ones at Hui Hai lake very close to here are now filled with overpriced shops bars and restaurants that are aimed at tourists with little regard for the few people that are still there after living in the area for generations, even the shop fronts are not in keeping with tradition and the interiors are ripped out and modernised.

Why can China not restore its heritage and keep the original feeling as happens in other countries?

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-2-26 01:06:46 |Display all floors
Hu Tong.
I grew up in a small Hutong in rural area.
Probably the width is less than 2 meters.
9 families lived in this Hutong.

Now, People have to widen the hutong there.  People wanna get sanitary sewers. People wanna drive cars back home. So called Hutongs are disappearing.
freedom of thought and speech

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-26 01:13:21 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-2-26 01:05
Congratulations to President Xi for getting out amongst the people but these Hutongs are now tourist ...

What is done can't be undone.

I think China is doing its best to reserve its heritage. Nanluoguxiang is an example.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-2-26 01:21:08 |Display all floors
voice_cd Post time: 2014-2-26 01:13
What is done can't be undone.

I think China is doing its best to reserve its heritage. Nanluogux ...

That is not true, these things can be undone to a great degree with sympathetic restoration.

China is still destroying a lot of its heritage, for example there is another large area of traditional Shanghai ( just to the West of Cheng Huang Miao ) being destroyed as I write in order to build more high rise apartments that the locals can not afford

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-2-26 01:38:43 |Display all floors
Those small Hutongs would definitely disappear in downtown area of modern cities.
Of couse some of them, sometimes an area of hutongs, would be kept as heritage to remind us of our past, not for daily living.

China, especially Beijing, have small land and huge amount of people. We have to build high rise apartments for acommodate more people.

freedom of thought and speech

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.