Views: 21662|Replies: 20

Grammar Question: use of 了   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-6-29 01:50:39 |Display all floors
The particle 了is what grammarians would call an aspect marker. If I understand it correctly, it indicates that an action has been completed (what is commonly called the "perfective" aspect).

My question is regarding placement and interpretation of that placement.

Take two sample sentences:

• 我去了看一个电影。
  • 我去看了一个电影。

Both sentences could be translated in English as "I went to see a movie."

I wrote the first one in response to a translation exercise in my book asking me to translate that sentence into Chinese. The answer key listed the second one as the correct answer.

So, I posted a question on Weixin (Wechat) and received two different answers, one (A) telling me that sentence 1 is grammatically incorrect and the other (B) (from a Chinese Teacher) telling me that they were both correct, but that sentence 1 states that the act of going was completed but does not say if I actually saw the movie, only that I went somewhere with the intention of seeing a movie, while sentence 2 indicates that I went somewhere and saw the movie.

So, I am posting the question here for any native speakers to answer. I am especially interested in opinions from language teachers. To me, the explanation that both are grammatically correct but the placement of 了 shows exactly which action or actoins were completed. To me, that seems more logical and more useful.

So, please, I am trying to find a good, qualified explanation so I can be sure I am using the language correctly.

Thank you!

妇女能顶半边天
-- 毛泽东

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-6-30 18:25:28 |Display all floors
1. 第一句语法错误。
2. 第二句语法正确。
3. “电影"前的量词用得不对。应该是“场”,中国人没有人会说看了一“个”电影。。。

这个例句中“去”和“看”语法上叫做连动词,构成该句中的谓语。连动词的特点就是使用两个或两个以上的动词共同陈述一个主语。动词之间有先后、目的、方式或手段关系。此例句是先后关系。“了”用在动词之后是动态助词。表示动作发生的状态。由于“去”和“看”是连动词,所以“了”就应该用在第二个动词之后。

“了”也可以用在句末是语气助词。

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-6-30 22:21:06 |Display all floors
Agree with (A), sentence 1 is grammatically incorrect.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-1 21:00:14 |Display all floors
This post was edited by querist at 2013-7-1 08:03
Kbay Post time: 2013-6-30 01:06
or you could have written

That would work if my intention was to say that I saw the movie, but the intention in the exercise was to say that I went to see a movie.

Thanks for your help, KBay.
妇女能顶半边天
-- 毛泽东

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-1 21:03:18 |Display all floors
LoneAcorn Post time: 2013-6-30 09:21
Agree with (A), sentence 1 is grammatically incorrect.

Now this is interesting... you, Lone Acorn, are a Chinese language teacher just like the person who told me that (A) was grammatically correct but simply indicated the completion of "go" and did not say anything about "see".

Now I'm confused. I guess I'll avoid the construction in (A) until I can learn more. Thank you for your help.
妇女能顶半边天
-- 毛泽东

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-1 21:04:17 |Display all floors
caihong Post time: 2013-6-30 05:25
1. 第一句语法错误。
2. 第二句语法正确。
3. “电影"前的量词用得不对。应该是“场”,中国人没有人会说看 ...

我觉得我明白。谢谢您的帮助。
妇女能顶半边天
-- 毛泽东

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-7-1 21:25:32 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2013-7-1 08:06
Caihong's explanation is bang on.

Great. Thanks for the help, everyone!
妇女能顶半边天
-- 毛泽东

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.