Views: 18437|Replies: 203

Western Super-Heroes Have Super-Strength, But Not Super-Intelligence   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-5-21 22:57:12 |Display all floors
Hello!

I've noticed a strong pattern in Western fiction super-heroes: they are not symmetrical - they are written to have super-strength, but not super-intelligence.  Consider the Incredible Hulk; yes, as a man, he was written to be an intellectual genius, but still within the human range, someone like Niels Bohr, Isaac Newton, and Charles Darwin.  But his strength was definitely not within the human range, but of a completely super-non-human entity.  

And consider Superman; he was written to have an IQ of around 160, which is still within the human range (smartest human on record, the last time I checked, had an IQ of 200).  But Superman sure did have physical powers not within the human range, but in the super-non-human range; he had more strength than millions of humans combined, was indestructible by any human weapon, he could shoot a laser beam out of his eyes, he could see through things, he could fly, and he could blow air out of his lungs with the force of a tornado.  

Then there is the Western super-hero called Thor; he was written to have the IQ of an average human - IQ around 115.  But he also had super-non-human strength; he was almost as strong as the Incredible Hulk, he could fly, and he could call upon the lightening to engulf his body and redirect it as a laser weapon with the aide of his metallic hammer weapon.

The same thing could be said of the myriad of other Western super-heroes: Spiderman, The Thing, Torch, Mighty Mouse, Iron Man, Captain America, Jedi Knights, Batman, The Green Lantern, X-Men, Silver Surfer, and so forth.

This reveals an interesting cultural fact: the West does not value intellectual augmentation, but only strength augmentation.  And it provides a lesson for China by teaching them to be more symmetrical in their ideals: for China to value both super-intelligence and super-strength.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 23:10:33 |Display all floors
damn, my IQ is below 88..can´t understand what you wrote..what shall i do? take a german to help me?
This message is done automatically and is valid without signature!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 23:48:32 |Display all floors
What about all the zero gravity Kung Fu fighters in Chinese movies? What pattern is that? Not to mention fiction the crap chinese kiddies are getting served by the TV stations.
Twentyfive percent out of nothing is still nothing!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-22 10:03:29 |Display all floors
RENREW Post time: 2013-5-21 23:48
What about all the zero gravity Kung Fu fighters in Chinese movies? What pattern is that? Not to men ...

I don't know.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-22 10:18:25 |Display all floors
This is my version of super-hero: there is President Chan of China.  One day, Chan say: Hmmm, let me create Chinese super-hero!  So Chan order government military to use top science to create super-hero called Super-Han.  Chan say to make him super-strong with laser shoot out of eye, and super-smart too!  So military builds super-Han in the laboratory and out come super-Han in full adult form.  One day, Japan and white people unite to shoot 20 nuclear missiles at China.  Super-Han grabs all the missiles in the sky then fly to outer-space and throw missiles into sun.  Then he come back, and he uses super-brain: in two seconds, he invents nano-robots controlled by computer, and the nano-robots break up all the chemical bonds between all the atoms in the bodies of all the white and Japanese people.  All of China then cheer super-Han!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-24 14:50:26 |Display all floors
khong hieu

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-5-24 15:23:25 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.