Author: cmknight

A letter to a thief.   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-5-21 07:30:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2013-5-21 03:55
robert237 Post time: 2013-5-20 05:32
""Two bottles of Ginsber beer.""

Maybe if you hadn't polished off the first four bottles that night ...

moral of the story is, had that happened in Korea and/or Japan, she will have her possession back and intact too! And even in NY!

''When John James left $100,000 worth of jewellery and valuables in a New York taxi after he was dropped off at the city's National Arts Club, he thought he would never see it again.But thanks to the honesty of the cab driver who discovered the hoard in the back of his cab, he has now been reunited with his belongings.
Zubiru Jalloh, who earns $300 a week working 12-hour shifts, made the incredible find when he went to help his next customer into his cab''.

No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 07:43:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2013-5-21 03:57
Kbay Post time: 2013-5-20 09:47
Have you ever had anything returned that was lost in a taxi?
I haven't!
meanwhile in UK
a bag left hurriedly was returned to my gf! and that was in London too......I was humiliated when the police rang to say the bag was left by another person that came across it as I had banged on about 'that's it, we won't see it again'. My humiliation was compounded when I suggested that her wallet wouldn't be inside the bag! And it was.....

An honest cab driver has returned $50,000 to a Middle Eastern businessman - after he left the small fortune in the back of his taxi.
Shocked Nigel Lipscombe, 54, discovered bundles of cash - worth £30,000 - stuffed inside a rucksack abandoned on the backseat after dropping off a passenger in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire.
But instead of pocketing the cash, which is equivalent of a year-and-a-half's wages, kind-hearted Nigel drove his taxi straight to the city's police station.
Incredibly the passenger was walking out of the station just seconds after reporting to police he had lost the cash.
Nigel handed back the money then gave the Arab businessman a lift to a local pub to celebrate - and even pocketed a $500 tip.
The generous dad-of-two said his stunned passenger was 'jumping for joy' when he handed back the small fortune.

No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 07:49:08 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2013-5-20 14:37
This was unfortunate.

Are you racial profiling this 'theft' as Chinese characteristics?

re read your reply and then reflect on how you have portrayed yourself. If going by your story, Chinese are not to be trusted with valuables is what you have just said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 08:01:43 |Display all floors
I'm surprised to read the number of posts saying that taking something that doesn't belong to you is not theft. Does this mean that if you and I, total strangers, are riding in a taxi, and you get out, leaving your cellphone on the seat (it fell out of your pocket), I can put it in my pocket and walk away?

In law, the crime of taking the property or services of another without consent is theft, plain and simple. Just because you find it does not make it yours.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 08:20:20 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2013-5-20 23:00
All this for some backpacking Da BiZi forgetting his bag in a taxi?
Your melodramatic feminin ...

You really should consider changing your profile from "engineer" to something which reflects your true personality. Perhaps something along the lines of "self-absorbed, anal-retentive troglodyte who has the delusion that he is better than everyone around him."

In reading your posts, I can see that you excel at assuming. You do know what happens when you "assume", right?
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 08:36:49 |Display all floors
I can't believe that you had so many things, such expensive things, things that evidently meant emotional ties, and yet you casually get out of a taxi without any of it?  To me this was pure carelessness on your part.  I am not excusing the 'thief' in this case.  It was theft, but again, I think you basically gave it away.
I lost my mobile phone one night and my friend dialed it to see if we could find it.  A taxi driver answered the phone, being quite late he said he would be happy to bring it to the hotel where I worked, but not until he was ready for shift change.  Almost to the minute when he said he would arrive, he did, with my phone in hand.  I think most taxi drivers are honest.  
However, the caveat is, when you take things with you, get into a taxi, on a bus, into a restaurant, etc., it is your responsibility to keep track of them and take them with you.
Again, I'm truly amazed that you would leave that many things in a taxi without keeping better care of them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-5-21 08:43:32 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2013-5-21 07:43
meanwhile in UK
a bag left hurriedly was returned to my gf! and that was in London too......I was hu ...

Thank you for putting on these stories. Very glad to see that people with a clear conscience are well genuinely respected.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.