Author: dostoevskydr

Is Christianity Homophobic? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-4-18 02:33:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by manoj10 at 2013-4-17 23:34
querist Post time: 2013-4-17 23:26
The New Testament does not pronounce any death sentences for any specific sins. The Old Testament, ...

I don't think its much of a debate regarding the core principles. Physical circumcison, keeping sabbath, stoning people for sins are some of the major changes in New Testament. Most of the Ten commandments is mentioned in the New Testament of John and Mark. Except for the Sabbath day and the first three commandments altered a bit. Yes I agree there are many interpretations. Anyway follows his own interpretation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-18 02:38:46 |Display all floors
manoj10 Post time: 2013-4-17 13:33
I don't think its much of a debate regarding the core principles. Physical circumcison, keeping sab ...

Actually, even "keeping the Sabbath" is a point of contention with regard to what exactly it means to "keep the Sabbath holy" and even what exactly is the "Sabbath". Seventh Day Adventists are a well-known Christian denomination that holds that the Sabbath is still Saturday and they act accordingly, while most other Christian denominations hold that it is now Sunday and act accordingly.

But yes, the circumcision issue and actually stoning people have both pretty much been tossed out.
妇女能顶半边天
-- 毛泽东

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-18 02:48:58 |Display all floors
querist Post time: 2013-4-17 23:38
Actually, even "keeping the Sabbath" is a point of contention with regard to what exactly it means ...

Not really. Seventh day adventism is a cult. If you can read their beliefs more deeply, most of them are rooted in the prophecies of Ellen G White whom they considered as Prophet of God. Now in the Bible its clearly stated Jesus is the last Messiah. Most of the Sabbath day keeping and other old Jewish dietary laws were added by Ellen G White.

There is no word in New Testament about keeping Sabbath and dietary laws. Both of them are abrogated in the new covenant with Jesus. The Seventh Day adventist claim that the early church followed Sabbath and they were changed by Catholics, however the early converts to Christianity were Jews and they considered Christianity as extension of Jewish however as more non jews embraced Christianity Paul stated that keeping Sabbath is upto each one of them and no one can advice others on how to do it. There is also passage in Bible about Jesus breaking Sabbath, " Sabbath is made for men and not men for Sabbath".

They also claim Romam Emperor Constantinopole changed the Sabbath day however they fail to recognize that early church always happened on Sundays since the Sabbath day was abrogated in New Testament, the same storyline that Da Vince code uses.

And also most important about Ellen G White, she was one of those person who said the date of Jesus second coming and made people to sell their properties and wait for Jesus arrival. It happened in 18th century it was the crushing defeat for the moment in its initial age and another one that ark of righteousness is closed and no new people can be saved after a specific year in 18th century. Ellen G White is a false prophet and Seventh day adventist believe she is the last prophet of God. I call it cult just like the mormons.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-18 03:04:48 |Display all floors
manoj10 Post time: 2013-4-17 13:48
Not really. Seventh day adventism is a cult. If you can read their beliefs more deeply, most of th ...

I was not aware of their history. They seemed mostly harmless, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Thank you for clarifying that bit of history.

The dietary laws are generally not debated in Christian circles because of the incident in Acts with Peter's vision where he was commanded to "kill and eat". The Sabbath, however, is in the Ten Commandments (number three or four depending on how you divide them), so that one is a bit trickier of an issue since the other commandments are usually not up for debate.
妇女能顶半边天
-- 毛泽东

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-18 03:33:41 |Display all floors
querist Post time: 2013-4-18 00:04
I was not aware of their history. They seemed mostly harmless, so I gave them the benefit of the d ...

You failed to add the New Testament's view on Sabbath day and Jesus being blamed for breaking the Sabbath day - Mark 2:27 "Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." Colossians 2:16 " Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."

Clearly, Jesus reformed the Sabbath day, abrogated the sacrifice of  pigeons and sheeps for cleaning of sins at the altar, stopped stoning of women for adultery and repentance of one's sin is more important than punishing someone for committing sin ,promoting love among all of mankind and not just among Christians.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-18 04:07:54 |Display all floors
manoj10 Post time: 2013-4-17 14:33
You failed to add the New Testament's view on Sabbath day and Jesus being blamed for breaking the  ...

But does that negate the concept of keeping the Sabbath (whatever day that may be) holy? Jesus violated man-made rules regarding the Sabbath, but did he violate what was actually meant by the Commandment to keep the Sabbath holy?

He was careful to explain that, for example, saving a child who fell down a well on the Sabbath would not be a violation of the Commandment, nor would feeding your animals on the Sabbath be considered a violation. He opposed the man-made rules intended to put clear limits on what one could and could not do on the Sabbath because they turned the keeping of the Sabbath into just another thing to mark off on your list of things to do. It was either three stitches or more than three stitches in mending something was considered "work" and not allowed on the Sabbath. The phrase "a Sabbath Day's walk" referred to a specific distance that was defined in the Talmud as being the longest distance you were allowed to walk on a Sabbath before it was considered "work".

The Sabbath was intended to be a day for worshiping God, and Jesus always went to the synagogue or temple on the Sabbath and kept the true intent of the Commandment.

Should police and paramedics be allowed to work on the Sabbath? Doctors and nurses in hospital emergency rooms? Rescue workers? Most Christians that I know would say that these people should be allowed to perform their work on the Sabbath because it is necessary for the safety and welfare of others.

The point is that the issue is not as straight forward as some of your posts imply. It goes back to defining exactly what "Keep the Sabbath Holy" means.
妇女能顶半边天
-- 毛泽东

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 3 DayEarlier |Display all floors
manoj10 Post time: 2013-4-17 18:49
Haha....In Islam its straight execution. I can see this dost guy is a mild incarnation of Cjamesyee. ...

Incarnationabc?

Don't tell anyone but she's back

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.