Views: 29556|Replies: 56

How did you earn 'Pocket Money' as a child   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-4-7 05:06:21 |Display all floors
I lived in the West End of London when I was a Child not a rural place by any means, but friends and I were able to earn money but had to work at it.
Well, I was lucky in one way my parents were very comfortable and gave me a small weekly allowance a few shillings sometimes my Mother would smuggle me a little more {:soso_e178:} But with friends, we would at the weekend get up to many 'money making' way's........

This included washing our neighbours cars, there were not that many in the mid 60's but with the earning from that we'd get a bus out of the busy west end with some vegetable sacks and 'scrump' apples and pears filling our sacks returning to our home areas and sell them to neighbours {:soso_e179:} Unfortuately now 'scrumping' would be classed as 'theft' it simply means going in to someone garden and pick apples off their trees{:soso_e100:}

pear.jpg

Then if we could get any old tree stumps thicker branches we'd chop them up and sell that for firewood and sell those to our neighbours a few more quid in our pockets !!!

wood.jpg

At one period, one of our mates got to know an older bloke that had a car, I remember it was an Armstrong Siddeley It had a simple grinding wheel in the boot. 5 of us would knock on doors and ask the residents if they had any items that needed to be sharpend, if we got a knife, scissors, shears , lawn mower or other we'd get 20% of what he charged to sharpen them. It was a great earner {:soso_e182:}

arm.jpg
The car was like this.  

If we felt energetic we'd also cut some neighbours grass and clear gardens of weeds etc, we liked that as we could burn off the grass and weeds in the grass bin

Well great memories for me{:soso_e121:} lovely times

BUT WHAT ABOUT YOU?????????????

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2013-4-7 11:05:02 |Display all floors
As a child I "managed" recyclable waste - paper, bottles. Collected from my family and neighbours. That days I could sell it, and have anough pocket money for my small needs.

At about 12 yo I "discovered" that some items can be bought cheap in big package, and then sold at higher price to other childs at school. It was mostly some "fashionable garmet ad-ons like chromed studs, etc.

At this age I was also allowed by my parents and neighbours to take some flowers from their gardens, and sell it. It was a little boring, but as every garden have some spare flowers - no purchasing costs (despite smile and ask).

At age about 15 I was making "small help" for my not talented, or just "having too much money" friends at school. Not big deal. Just some drawings, paintings and other "artistic". They have better grades, I had fun and some money. Little cheating, sure ;) but "art classes" never was very important and didn't affect "final scores".

While traveling with a backpack and tent around Poland (15-18yo) I sometimes helped "locals" with some easy (heavy but not complicated) works like chopping wood, moving things from one place to the other, and so on.
For example when working 2 hours a day I usually earned enough for food for next two or three days. Spending one day working - I could then spend a night in a hostel (to make laundry and decent bath) and had a "food money reserve" for next few days.
This way I didn't had to ask my parents for a lot of money, and still have a good time in hilidays.

First "normal" work I begun just after high school - this was the way to have money for studies.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-4-7 17:07:45 |Display all floors
Unlike 1584austin I lived the rural life. My brother and I had "chores" from which we earned pocket money.  Chopping firewood, feeding the chickens, collecting eggs, cutting the grass etc. I also bred rabbits for sale to the local butcher. When I was 10 I helped the local milk delivery man delivering bottles of milk for a few pennies a day. When I reached the grand old age of 13 I could legally drive a tractor and worked on a local farm evenings, weekends and school holidays. I saved enough money to buy my first suit at age 16

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-4-7 19:17:52 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-4-7 17:07
Unlike 1584austin I lived the rural life. My brother and I had "chores" from which we earned pocket  ...

In my youth mid 60's nearly all kids when they got to 12 or 13 went out trying to earn a bit of cash.
Most Kids these days don't have to so sit on computers instead of being outside the house playin and doing things.

Shame for them really

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-4-7 19:56:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by aziz at 2013-4-7 17:56
1584austin Post time: 2013-4-7 17:17
In my youth mid 60's nearly all kids when they got to 12 or 13 went out trying to earn a bit of ca ...

I am still a child-------- tell where is your pocket located------- to earn some pocket money

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2013-4-8 06:11:22 |Display all floors
Mowed lawns and did yard work in the spring, summer, and fall, shoveled snow in the winter.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2013-4-8 07:09:10 |Display all floors
I caddied and ran a "wheel of fortune" on the boardwalk.....I gave away 5 foot stuffed PANDAS....
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.