Views: 18123|Replies: 23

Guizhou and Northern Yunnan Part 1   [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-10-13 17:07:24 |Display all floors
Before Oct. 1st - Ntl. Holiday - I did spend several weeks in SW China, namely in Guangxi Zhuang A.R., Guizhou and Yunnan. It was a trip from the lowlands of Guilin to the mountains of Guizhou to the SE edge of the Qinghai-Tibet plateau, a trip with over 4,000 m altitude difference (Pass over the Baima mountains-4,300 m).

The original plan was to only visit Guizhou and Northern Yunnan but my better half insisted on a Li river cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo.  Since I visited this area once (1981), I wasn't too keen to repeat but as usual, the woman succeeded.

Contrary to my previous trips over the last 5 years to SW and Western China which were dominated by arid weather conditions, this trip took place with the never ending monsoon as our permanent companion.

Since there are many reports in the travel section about Guilin etc. I'll abstain from adding more to it. What you'll see in two reports are visits to Western Guizhou (Anshun area) as well as trips through the central mountains of Kaili and visits and stays at Miao villages where we were welcomed and treated like long time friends.  Following the a.m. part will be a thorough introduction to the northernmost prefecture of Yunnan, the Deqen Tibetan Autonom. Prefecture with Shangri-La (formerly Zhongdian), the Baima mountains and finally the crown jewel of Yunnan, the Meili Snow mountains with holy Mt. Kawagarbo (6,740 m).

Before I start, a few words to the trip:
All air connections used were on time, not a single delay. We flew from PVG to KWL and from KWL to KWE via BHY and from KWE to KMG and KMG to DIG as well as from DIG via KMG to SHA (Hongqiao).
One curiosity - the only direct flight without changing aircrafts from KWL to KWE is by a commuter airline  via BHY (Beihai - close to the Vietnam border). This results in a 3 1/2 hours trip for a distance of only 450 km.

Finally - I'm now really getting old.  For the first time in decades I did suffer from High Altitude Sickness. The last 2 days I did not feel well and ate nothing. After returning home I had a check-up at a hospital and was told to stay there because my fever was close to 40 deg. Cent. and I was diagnosed with pneumonia. Luckily the treatment was highly effective and the doctor who is himself a China fan promised to give me a green light again for further excursions to areas in excess of 3,500 to 4,500 m altitude.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-10-13 17:41:41 |Display all floors
Tianlong is an ancient Tun-Bao settlement built during the Ming dynasty by the descendants  of the soldiers of the expeditionary troops of the Ming Dynasty, where locals still wear the old-style clothes of that time and keep most of the cultural traditions of the Ming Dynasty.   Historic records tell the story about the village. The imperial court of the Ming Dynasty had sent a garrison force to Anshun six hundred years ago. The garrison turned the neighborhood into farmland, grew crops, and build up villages for its own needs. The Tianlong Village is the best among the well-kept settlements, where people have changed little in lifestyle.

002.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

008.JPG

A natural stone in the shape of a Buddha.

011.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-10-13 18:31:23 |Display all floors
Tianxing Qiao Scenic Area near Huangguoshu waterfall (west of Anshun)

016.JPG

017.JPG

Miao lady selling peanuts

030.JPG

035.JPG

034.JPG

036.JPG

For each day of the year there is a stone where one can cross the water. Standing on the stone of ones birthday and wishing for the future brings a lot of luck.

038.JPG

039.JPG

Water, water, everywhere

040.JPG

042.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-10-13 19:00:16 |Display all floors
A nice collection of Bonsai trees near the Huangguoshu waterfall (entrance area)

044.JPG

045.JPG

Several plants were blossoming.

046.JPG

Huangguoshu waterfall from the distance

047.JPG

and from close-up

050.JPG

051.JPG

and my personal wish was also to visit Baling He, one of the world's greatest marvel in bridge construction. Baling He is approx. 10 km  west of Huangguoshu.

056.JPG

The view down the valley

057.JPG

060.JPG

the view from below

061.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-10-13 19:10:00 |Display all floors
to be continued

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-10-14 08:56:37 |Display all floors
Amid heavy monsoon weather - here are some images of Dong structures in the vicinity of Kaili (all buildings are new):

002.JPG

A Dong drum tower

003.JPG

A hole in the wall

006.JPG

Rice terraces and paddies all along the way. Getting deeper into Miao heart land

008.JPG

Inside a small Miao village - deep into the mountains

012.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-10-14 09:12:05 |Display all floors
Drying crops for winter consumption

013.JPG

Main street of the village

014.JPG

An old Miao woman cleaning barks from mulberry trees for paper production.

015.JPG

Another view of the same village

016.JPG

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.