Author: Singularity

Quarterbacks, Intelligence and Race   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-12-3 03:20:07 |Display all floors
piggytails Post time: 2016-1-15 19:40
I've noticed that minorities are allowed to express points of view that would get whites into troubl ...

Race is just a social construct.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2016-12-13 20:39:39 |Display all floors
I have thought about this topic before and the conclusion I arrived at is that the reason most quarterbacks are white is because of racism.

Even at the junior level most teams have a golden boy of sorts that is chosen to be quarterback ( in Australia Rugby League it is half-back or five-eighth ) and this kid will be a QB from a young age all the way through. Often these golden boys have either a golden boy older sibling or a golden boy type father. You would think that football would be a meritocracy but it often is not. There is also the fact that QB requires a lot less athleticism and the more athletic African American kids would be more likely to be pushed into a role like running back than QB.

When I was a kid my football team got in to ringers from the neighbouring district and they improved our team a great deal and we ended up having our best season ever. At the end of the year our hometown golden boy won the Best and Fairest award ( like MVP ) at our presentation and it was kind of controversial because even though the golden boy was a great footballer he wasnt as good as one of the brothers that was a ringer we brought in from another district. The two brothers went back to their old team the next season. The two brothers were not black but is a good example of how certain players are favoured at a young age for whatever reason - the golden boy QB types. We had an Aboriginal kid in the same team and he was probably more talented than our golden boy - certainly more athletic, but he played in the centres which is closer to a running back position where speed and athleticism is important. The Aboriginal kid could have played the golden boys playmaker position just as well and probably better. So it makes sense that the golden boy type is more likely to develop as a QB than an African American - even, and especially at a college level. The favouritism that a golden boy type gets at a young age may not be anything to do with racism but I think there is probably a racist element at play that explains the low numbers of African-American Quarterbacks because people are not likely to consider a black kid to be a golden child are they?

If you look at how many great black Point Guards there have been and are in the NBA then you see that an African-American can play a playmaker role if given the opportunity. A PG in basketball has to remember just as many plays as a QB and has to make playmaking decisions in the same way as a QB.

It used to be that there were few African-American coaches but there are plenty now and it was just a matter of opportunity.

And there are too many variables with your intelligence/stats formula. The further we go back the less black QBs we would find right? Why do you think that is? Are blacks getting smarter and that is why there are more black QBs in modern times?

And the average Wonderlic score for an offensive tackle in the NFL is 26 according to wiki, but the average Wonderlic score for an quarterback is only 24. Why do offensive tackles have a higher score than the quarterback?

And isnt the so-called 'Wonderlic test' culturally biased?

This is a racist thread.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2016-12-13 20:42:12 |Display all floors
Super-Nova Post time: 2014-3-1 03:24
I'm not sure if anyone in this forum has the IQ to read this article: no one has made an intellige ...

I did. It is pending.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2016-12-13 20:44:48 |Display all floors
This post was edited by HailChina! at 2016-12-13 20:50
meimei2 Post time: 2015-2-17 10:50
football has nothing to do with genes or intelligence.  it is all about training and a positive atti ...

Rudy trained hard and he had a positive attitude. But he did not make the NFL.

They are making a movie about Mathew Dellavadova you know. He is like a real-life Rudy but better. He made the NBA. With hard training and a positive attitude. And determination.

edit - Delly........Delly......Delly....DELLY!...DELLY! DELLY! DELLY!

He doesnt even have a jump shot. He is not athletic at all really. He does not have an NBA body. Delly is known for his hard defense. And hustle. And toughness.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-12 22:38:26 |Display all floors
Football requires lots of training, that's all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-12 22:39:00 |Display all floors
Grays Post time: 2016-1-15 19:03
I value this article, thanks for posting it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.