Author: cd_moderator

[EU] How Britain created the 'Tibetan issue'   [Copy link] 中文

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2012-6-18 20:16:15 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-6-18 19:53
Funny then, how it was said that the "Tibetan army and civilians turned back the British in 1888 and ...

At the time Tibet was not as integrated to China as it is now and enjoyed a stronger autonomy due to the fact that communications were much harder, especially considering mandarin was not as widespread as it is now. They were allowed to maintain an army specifically for defensive purposes but they still belonged to China and their allegience was well known.

You also have to take into consideration the geopolitical situation of the time with a weak Qing empire and the raise of many warlords all over China.

Let's not forget since Hong Kong was handed to the British no Chinese government as ever controlled the whole of China and it took about 100 years before a government, the CCP, could control the whole of mainland China.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2012-6-18 20:18:03 |Display all floors
I enjoyed this article which is quite fair and balanced but I fear it won't get a lot of readers as it is published in China Daily. They should publish it in the guardian and the washington post.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-18 20:30:24 |Display all floors
Reads a little like propaganda and obfuscation.

If the British were inciting separatism is 1913, why did the Quing dynasty feel the need to invade Tibet in 1910 ?

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-6-19 00:28:05 |Display all floors
verdane Post time: 2012-6-18 20:30
Reads a little like propaganda and obfuscation.

If the British were inciting separatism is 1913, wh ...

Look up Captain Younghusband  ..........

You may find the answer there  .............

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-19 16:54:33 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-6-19 00:28
Look up Captain Younghusband  ..........

You may find the answer there  .............

Yes, along with the king of Bhutan he was responsible for the massacre of Tibeten monks (poor gits seem to get it in the neck from all sides) in 1904.

The invasion took place in 1910. This was after the Tibetan's restored the Dalai Lhama. Since the Chinese didn't agree, so they sent troops to reinforce their opinion.  

Don't forget Tibet was once a completely distinct, independent nation, it doesn't take British, Martian or any other interference for people within what was once an autonomous nation to want their autonomy back.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-6-19 18:17:56 |Display all floors
verdane Post time: 2012-6-19 16:54
Yes, along with the king of Bhutan he was responsible for the massacre of Tibeten monks (poor gits ...

It doesn't take a genius to know that most tribes or communities were independent at some stage .......

Then history plays a hand and one gets the confusion about borders and territories in this modern world .........

Who did what to who and when and where  .........   

The Americans were quite happy to show the world that Tibet was part of China in their 1942 propaganda films .............

I respect their version .............   

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-19 18:22:09 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-6-19 18:17
It doesn't take a genius to know that most tribes or communities were independent at some stage .. ...

I have already known China has many faults. I know  I know
Then ask yourself deeply in your heart, are you sure that you are not biased?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.