Set HomepageAdd a favorite

Chinadaily Forum

Forgotten your password?
 register

QQ登录

Views: 2427|Replies: 20

BBC Report on Beijing Toilets (Main News)   [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-5-23 21:42:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by expatter at 2012-5-23 21:47

Sorry, I couldn't resist this although I will only post the thread .......

It seems we should congratulate the way Beijing allowed the 'blind activist' annoyance to disapate in that the BBC are left discussing only the smell in Beijing toilets. They always did like to make out their poo doesn't smell and here it is .........

Well done BBC keep up this vital International news ...........    {:soso_e181:}    {:soso_e120:}    {:soso_e182:}

BejingToilets BBC News Report

Atthe scene

Michael Bristow BBC News, Beijing

Beijing public toilets are not known for their welcoming appeal. People often smell them before they see them. I only venture in at the most desperate of times.

And the word cleaning seems misplaced when applied to a public lavatory in Beijing. Dirty grey mops are occasionally dragged across a toilet floor, but not to any great effect. Ther eis seldom toilet paper - or soap to wash your hands.

The best (or worst) that can be said about Beijing public loos is that there are a lot of them about.

There is a serious side to these regulations though. Many people who live in the city's old neighbourhoods still do not have their own toilet - and have no choice but to use public conveniences. For them, these rules might make an unavoidable daily necessity a touch more palatable.

Beijing sets 'two flies only' public toilet guidelines

BBC 23rd May 2012

The benchmarks apply to toilets in public premises or on roadsides

Authorities in the Chinese capital have set new standards for public toilets, including a stipulation that they should contain no more than two flies.

The new rules, published by the commission of city administration, also set standards on odour and cleaning litter bins.

Toilets in places such as tourist spots must comply with the new standards.

But it is not clear whether failing washrooms will be punished and if so, how.

The new rules also cover cleaning, the use of equipment and training for attendants.

Beijing public toilets are not known for their welcoming appeal. People often smell them before they see them. I only venture in at the most desperate of times.

And the word cleaning seems misplaced when applied to a public lavatory in Beijing. Dirty grey mops are occasionally dragged across a toilet floor, but not to any great effect. There is seldom toilet paper - or soap to wash your hands.

The best (or worst) that can be said about Beijing public loos is that ther eare a lot of them about.

There is a serious side to these regulations though. Many people who live in the city's old neighbourhoods still do not have their own toilet - and have no choice but to use public conveniences. For them, these rules might make an unavoidable daily necessity a touch more palatable.

There is an ordinance covering what is referred to as" discarded items" - there should be no more than two in any public convenience.

The new standards also require signs in both Chinese and English to be installed in the toilets.

They regulate advertisements displayed in toilets, saying they must not obstruct functionality and had to be legal, reports the Beijing Times.

Beijing's Municipal Commission of City Administration and Environment said in a statement that the regulations aimed to standardise toilet management at places such as parks, railway stations, hospitals and shopping malls.

An unnamed official from the commission told local media that the guidelines on flies were meant for easy monitoring.

However media reports cast doubt over whether the guidelines could be enforced.

Especially if the flies are paid dissidents causing a stink ..........     {:soso_e120:}

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal Medal of honor Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 May's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-5-23 21:48:43 |Display all floors
Ahh yes the dreaded public loo in China. I must confess that I have been known to use them but only for #1s as sphincter clench can work wonders.  In the old days I carried a surgical mask laced with lavender oil .. trust me decomposing bodies smell better than some of the Chinese bogs I've been past.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-23 22:13:58 |Display all floors
Unbelievable.

I have already known China has many faults. I know  I know
Then ask yourself deeply in your heart, are you sure that you are not biased?
Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-5-23 22:17:10 |Display all floors
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-23 22:23:25 |Display all floors
I see poster #2 would prefer to eat a rotting corpse over a krap sandwich. How refreshing to know that.
Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-23 22:25:02 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2012-5-23 21:48
Ahh yes the dreaded public loo in China. I must confess that I have been known to use them but only  ...
trust me decomposing bodies smell better

Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-23 22:39:40 |Display all floors
Things are getting better, though very slowly.

Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

Archiver|   

GMT +8, 2014-12-20 12:56

Contact Us :

Office number : 86-10-84883534 , 86-10-84883548   Email: chinaforum#chinadaily.com.cn, Switch the # to @ when you send email to us.

Back to the top