Author: Astornomy

What Capitalism Has Done to the Caucasians   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-2-21 14:34:56 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-2-21 14:30
You may as well ask why people become addicted to morphine. It's such a wonderful drug if you need

Fair taxation is good.  But, I also want to cure the root psychological cause for such addictions, as you define it.  

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2012-2-21 14:48:05 |Display all floors
Astornomy Post time: 2012-2-20 22:34
Fair taxation is good.  But, I also want to cure the root psychological cause for such addictions, ...

That is a puzzle nobody has solved yet. It has to do with the reward centers in the brain.
Everybody has something they like and that is not a problem until it becomes a compulsion
and obsession. A classic experiment is the monkey on cocaine. A tube was inserted into a
monkey's brain that would release cocaine if he pushed a certain lever. The money became
so addicted (compulsion/obsession) that he died of starvation and thirst even though both
food and water were readily available to him if he pushed the correct levers. The monkey
knew these levers because he learned to operate them for food and water before the
cocaine tube and the cocaine lever was installed. Once he learned to get his 'high' from
the cocaine lever he died for lack of eating and drinking.
You can tell the difference between a liking and an obsession/compulsion fairly easily.
Let's say you really really like ice cream. Do you wake up in the morning and the first thing
that comes to your mind is ice cream? Do you get up and have an bowl of ice cream and
then stop on the way to work to buy some more ice cream to put in the freezer at work
in case you need some more before you go home? On your way home do you stop at the
store and buy enough ice cream to make sure you don't run out that night and have enough
for your bowl in the morning? Does your wife and friends make remarks about your excessive
ice cream consumption? Does this make you begin to hide your ice cream from others and
sneak off to have a bowl without anyone knowing? When you don't have your ice cream do
you spend ALL your time figuring out how to get more and get more NOW. When you try
to stop eating ice cream do you start to get physically ill and have an overwhelming sense of doom?
If you do then your addicted to ice cream. If not then you do not have a problem with your
love of ice cream. Go ahead and have a bowl after dinner tonight

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-21 15:01:24 |Display all floors
I will never eat ice cream again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-21 18:53:21 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2012-2-20 16:45
The great disparity beween the Eastern and Western China is a boiling cauldron.

If not  addressed,  ...

Yes, very true indeed and on the present course, what you say here will be inevitable sadly.

I hope you didn't find this post anti-China!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-21 18:59:09 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-2-21 05:41
There's an easy fix for the concentration of wealth. A fair tax system.

Hopefully just a joke

There was this International Conference on Taxation held in a European Country. The nature of the conference was international sharing of taxation ideas.

To make the story short, The French representative said "Everyone in this room should adopt my country’s taxation system, because in my country we tax our people from child birth to death."

The Conference room exploded in a big applause, because that system will provide great revenue to the country.

But, the Swiss representative stood and said, "That is nothing. Because, in my country we tax our people from womb to tomb! The whole room was clapping louder than before.

An excited Australian, jumped up and said "That is nothing compared to down under, we tax our people from sperm to germ!!

With this, the whole room was in standing ovation and clapping. Several representatives from Europe suggested that it be adopted in every nation.

But then, the American representative, shouted, Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! Here me out first, before you adopt anything. Then, the American said. That is nothing compared in America, in America we tax our people from Erection to Resurrection!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-21 19:05:16 |Display all floors
Astornomy Post time: 2012-2-21 13:20
Here is my personality: I would be extremely ashamed to accept millions of dollars in salary.  If I ...

The thing is this, when commenting about the high salaries of CEO's etc; those folks obviously have worked hard to get to where they are. Those who actually own the companies of which they are CEO, they've risked a lot and given up a lot so why shouldn't any of them get the rewards that are justifiably theirs to enjoy? While it's true that many western CEOs are obscenely compensated, they must've done something right to get to where they are....same as CEO's in China. I'd hope that these people practice active philanthropy though to help their fellow countrypeople. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are 2 fine examples of this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-21 19:15:57 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-2-21 19:05
The thing is this, when commenting about the high salaries of CEO's etc; those folks obviously hav ...

You believe in the idea of "Party hard, die early."  This is the West: consume aggressively, live for yourself, work hard to become rich, etc.".  Yes, under this system, the rich CEOs can accumulate billions and make the West their playfield.   And I repect the right for the West to do this.  But I would like to see China survive for infinity.   So, the very rich need to be controlled to ensure the overall success of Chinese people as a whole.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.