Author: Astornomy

What Capitalism Has Done to the Caucasians   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2012-2-23 12:09:34 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-2-22 19:37
Ok, so you're a proponent of spreading the wealth whether folks earn it or not? If this is the cas ...

Just a few posts back in this thread I wrote
---------------------------------------------------------
"merit is rewarded in proportion to it's real value, not with multiples of thousands or millions per the average pay.
A doctor should be able to earn more than a street sweeper but not a thousand times more.
An inventor of a new toy might earn several times the average pay but not millions of times more.
We all have a right to a comfortable life and nobody as a right to an obscene multiple in pay just for a really neat trick.
The tired old argument of "its always been that way and its not going to change" will give way to progress once again."
---------------------------------------------------------
I'm never said a doctor should earn the same amount as a ditch digger but today the disparity between the 'haves'
and the 'have nots' is ridiculously excessive.
There are plenty of people out there willing to invent new toys without being rewarded billions of dollars.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-23 12:18:44 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-2-23 11:09
Just a few posts back in this thread I wrote

You said; "There are plenty of people out there willing to invent new toys without being rewarded billions of dollars."

Then where are they Robert?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-23 12:25:04 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-2-22 20:18
You said; "There are plenty of people out there willing to invent new toys without being rewarded  ...

Everywhere. I live in the silicon valley. There are many brilliant minds out here.
All the major components of the modern computer were invented by nameless engineers
working at the Xerox PARC center in the 70s.
Only the hucksters well versed in big business and supported by the vulture capitalists marketed it
and made billions. These technologies weren't invented by the fat cats.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-23 12:32:11 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-2-23 11:25
Everywhere. I live in the silicon valley. There are many brilliant minds out here.
All the major c ...

Admirable sentiments and intentions. The real world, sadly, doesn't really work that way.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-23 12:35:30 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-2-22 20:32
Admirable sentiments and intentions. The real world, sadly, doesn't really work that way.

That's the same thing they said to Mao when China was fractured and infested by all sorts of outsiders. {:soso_e182:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-12 22:25:05 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2012-2-20 18:32
There are at least two kinks in capitalism.

One is that while it increases demand and thus wages,  ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.