Author: goldengrove

Watching movies: a good way to learn English?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-12-27 17:17:02 |Display all floors
I can't agree more

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-8 08:35:35 |Display all floors
I read this thread and there is much good advice here.  But keep in mind that the language in movies is usually extremely informal and therefore not always correct grammar.  Incorrect grammar is common in informal English, you just have to be able to know the difference.  I also support the recommendation of The Big Bang Theory, because the characters are educated and speak like educated people.

I wanted to add something.  Once years ago I was living in Ecuador and worked for an English school.  I was put in charge of a class that was trying to learn to improve listening comprehension by watching videos of news features from American television,  Afterward, they would fill out papers with questions about what was in the program.  Typically, the performance on this was very low.  I hit on a slightly different technique.  I gave them the questions beforehand, and I had the students guess at the answers, and even vote on the answers, before watching the videos.   Then we watched the videos, and the scores on their papers nearly tripled on average.  This was because they weren't just watching a video report trying (unsuccessfully) to comprehend the whole thing, but they were focused on being on the lookout for specific information.  With that focus, they were able much more often to find the answer, which they were rarely able to do when they had no specific focus.  Their general comprehension of the videos strikingly improved over the months with this technique.

So, if it is possible to find an English-speaking friend who can watch a video before you, maybe you can try this exercise as a game.   "Does Sheldon want to go or stay home" -- preferably questions whose answers need to be heard in the dialogue and could not be guessed at by watching with the sound off.

But who has an English-speaking friend nearby who would play this game?  I think it could be done online, if people were interested.  English speakers who watch any show or movie could write questions like that, to help English learners practice their comprehension.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.