Author: goldengrove

Watching movies: a good way to learn English?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-24 20:52:03 |Display all floors
Not always. It give you some help but you need to learn more than that. And watching movie or tv should be arranged by sellecting the good ones. And combineing other materials is better.
Teaching Maths with Calculus and Statistics in NZ

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-26 18:34:22 |Display all floors
Movies are a good way to refine your English, but you must have the skill to understand the context the language is being used in. Each character in a movie talks in a way that the writer designs, it is a form of stereotyping, it is not normal English.

If you can understand the dialogue in a movie they can very good for helping with vocabulary, inflection and phrasing, but they should never be a model for speaking.

If you can not keep up with the speaking, find a series to watch, even cartoons, hearing the same people talk in different situations and express different feelings can be a big help in learning how to listen to English. Listening is not just hearing the words, it is also knowing what the word means and why the speaker chose to use it.

Anything that increases contact with English or makes learning  easier or fun is good.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-27 05:04:48 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2011-12-27 11:27
People with a good grasp of grammar and a solid vocabulary can benefit from watching movies in the t ...

this very true, I always recommend my friends watch English movies no subs, to help them teach their brain to listen, especially if they have little contact with others, I recommend British and american, but warn you that some of them contain some difficult examples of speaking, save those for later.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-27 05:12:12 |Display all floors
hardluck2008 Post time: 2011-12-28 17:04
I like to watch such sorts of English movies,unfortunately hard for me to follow up the sound and ge ...

I recommend, that you pick one movie, and watch it again and again, until you can pick every word, while this may sound boring  it will help train your brain to listen much quicker than watching many, after that first movie, pick a second movie, you should get it much quicker, others will be more easy it pick up after doing this. you will be able to enjoy other movies more and pick up other aspects of speaking and listening

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-27 05:16:37 |Display all floors
It's not a good way to begin, but is a great way to improve your listening skills and broaden your vocabulary in a contextual manner, and even improve your English comprehension

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-3 19:30:51 |Display all floors
Ronny gives an excellent suggestion.  Watching a movie over and over is a very good way to improve your English.  Watch it once or twice with subtitles, but then turn them off and listen, listen, listen.

I strongly advise AGAINST learning English from Soap Operas.  Your vocabulary will not improve much, and they are produced to appeal to less intelligent people.  Don't waste your time or your mind.  PBS is an excellent source for documentaries, nature shows, and other informative programs.

If you want to improve your vocabulary, try reading a novel.  There are so many good books, and many are free online.

Good Luck!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-3 20:17:38 |Display all floors
iSpeakEnglish Post time: 2012-3-3 19:30
Ronny gives an excellent suggestion.  Watching a movie over and over is a very good way to improve y ...

If you want to improve your vocabulary, try reading a novel.  There are so many good books, and many are free online.

Please name a list. Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.