Author: goldengrove

Watching movies: a good way to learn English?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-12-26 11:03:56 |Display all floors
nanyangbuyi Post time: 2011-12-14 16:07
i joined in a group for learn english today.

Keep active in the group.
I was kicked out last time for being offline for a long time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-27 01:16:10 |Display all floors
To be honest, that's my way to improve my English. Especially my listening skills. I am an English major graduating in 2012.^^ Quite worried about my future now. LOL. I got my CET6 listening part 100% correct last year. Not showing off, just to convince you that movies can help improve your English.^^ Also watch more BBC documentaries and various English programs. Never stick to some certain genres.  BTW, I nearly spent all my spare time in the last 2 years watching English programs. Pretty unusual... and also crazy... haha~~

With documentaries, you will certainly learn a great deal. Politics, science, culture, history... You name it!!! Just be passionate and interested in English^^  You will find your own way! Time to go to bed~~
Karma does exist. Just do my best to help others and myself as well, and karma will take care of the rest. ^^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-27 13:13:40 |Display all floors
649224 Post time: 2011-12-27 01:16
To be honest, that's my way to improve my English. Especially my listening skills. I am an English m ...

It is indeed a plus for your learning experience. Problem is how much can we transfer from the movies to real life scenarios

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-28 13:08:45 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2011-12-28 08:32
I don't think that is a big step. Real life is about culture, and learning a language IS learning ab ...

That's a good and fair point.

Language is indeed part and parcel of the culture and vice versa. The influence -- by which I mean immersing yourself in another culture by watching movies -- may seem imperceptible, but before you realize it, you may have already made great strides as far as your language learning is concerned.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-28 15:04:14 |Display all floors
I like to watch such sorts of English movies,unfortunately hard for me to follow up the sound and get the meaning...
Heavens bless you & me!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-21 11:14:04 |Display all floors
649224 Post time: 2011-12-27 01:16
To be honest, that's my way to improve my English. Especially my listening skills. I am an English m ...

Just keep your eyes peeled. (I saw this phrase in a movie called Yogi Bear) ^^
You don't have to be obsessed with the idea that you need to learn a lot of new words from movies. Instead, pay more attention to the simply words. You will find them much easier to remember and also you can put them into use more often. For example,  "The sky is the limit." is often heard in movies. Before I knew this, I would say "You can buy whatever you want.". It is the amazing use of simple words that keep me interested.   

Karma does exist. Just do my best to help others and myself as well, and karma will take care of the rest. ^^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-21 18:37:04 |Display all floors
Like the popular Bing Bang Theory

Dear golden grove,
it is Big  Bang Theory.
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.