Author: DanseMacabre

You're not qualified to judge China because you can't speak Chinese?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2011-12-17 11:46:42 |Display all floors
I can tell you with certainty that if your "judgement" is a positive one, it will be accepted wholeheartedly whether you know a word of Chinese or not.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2011-12-17 23:02:32 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2011-12-17 01:59
But popularity does not mean accuracy or factualness. It just means you see things the way a parti ...

That's exactly my point.  If your "judgement" is negative, they will find other reasons to reject you even if you speak perfect Chinese.  Like, you don't know our culture, or you haven't lived here long enough.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-18 12:23:31 |Display all floors
Dear, no worries, quite some Chinese don't speak Korean or Japanese at all while haven't been to S.Korea or Japan as well, all that cannot stop them from judging the two countries ..... all the time.

just screw those guys and going home

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-19 12:45:42 |Display all floors
georgiajad Post time: 2011-12-17 09:21
You people do understand there is a subject called anthropology, right? First of all, the rubbish yo ...

You think only you knew "anthropology"? The "correctly worded" question? That's what your anthropology classes taught you: to question the others' "questions" and their "premises" before you can even understand what they mean?

" If a large man beats a small woman without reason, I can judge accurately that this man is a bad person." That's how your anthropology and psychology teachers taught you: to jump at a conclusion before you can even master all the facts?

If you are really a student of anthropology and psychology, I feel very sorry, for your teachers and for the two disciplines.  
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-14 04:15:14 |Display all floors
This post was edited by stevenen at 2012-1-13 20:17
georgiajad Post time: 2011-12-17 01:21
You people do understand there is a subject called anthropology, right? First of all, the rubbish yo ...

Hi georgiajad, I don't know if "language" is over-rated or not in arriving at a some conclusions about a culture and people of that culture, I suppose it depends in which circles you move. In some circles that may well be true.

I think you would probably agree that language can provides us with quite a good insight into the pyschology of individuals. One phrase that you hear in Japan quite a lot is "gambatte kudasai", which literally means "do your best please", but is used in cases where in English you might say "Good Luck!". It is indicative of a shared cultural value that people should try their best in all things. These kind of examples give you a clue about cultural differences, and the extent to which the people share common values.  Studying an anthropological textbook on Japan probably would not have let me know how prevelant this implied values would be expressed in language.

Personally I hope to learn more about Chinese people and their culture through studying the language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-6 10:01:49 |Display all floors
Maybe the point could be made enquiring whether or not we should judge....that poses another question entirely and is worthy of consideration and inclusion in this thread!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-22 08:16:17 |Display all floors

RE: You're not qualified to judge China because you can't speak Chinese?

You're not qualified to judge China because you can't speak Chinese?

More to it. Could you accept the fact that, when a person who does not read or write Chinese can be asked to sit as a judge in a Chinese/English translation contest? Would it make a difference in appointing a blind man to be a judge in a beauty pageant contest?
FIRST NATIONS ( LAKOTA PEOPLE ) Heartbreaking - (Google Search for video) "to stay true to who you are. Never allow anyone make you different or think different about what it is you are created to be ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.