Author: angela627

Thanksgiving day   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-11-24 17:45:14 |Display all floors
x3 to everyone
Too little , too late

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-24 17:50:34 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2011-11-24 13:00
Europeans do not celebrate Thanksgiving, it is an absolutely traditional American holiday.

It sta ...

Maybe they just want to show their gratitude to others on this special day. To me, it has more meaning than Christmas.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-24 17:57:26 |Display all floors
why did people eat turkey for celebrating?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-24 18:09:22 |Display all floors
I think it should be a day for US,their were to o many people or things for them to celebrate

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2011-11-24 22:08:25 |Display all floors
amylhz Post time: 2011-11-24 17:50
Maybe they just want to show their gratitude to others on this special day. To me, it has more mea ...

For me neither Christmas or Thanksgiving have a lot of meaning. Anyway, Christmas is celebrated all over Europe because we are of judeo-christian decent.

Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Europe (pretty much as much as in China) as it has no meaning to our roots. Thanksgiving is the same as 4th of July, a US national holiday, that I respect but won't follow.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2011-11-25 03:15:09 |Display all floors
xujia7625 Post time: 2011-11-24 01:57
why did people eat turkey for celebrating?

Turkeys were, and still are, wild bird in the US. When the first anglos settled in the US the
turkey was one of the primary game birds used for food. They are big birds too so they were
popular as a food source. Even today people still hunt them but mainly for sport. I've never
eaten a wild turkey but I heard they can be very tasty.
So the turkey was present at the first autumn feasts and the tradition continued.
I'm not certain on all the facts of Thanksgiving but you can look it up on the net.
Did you know that Benjamin Franklin, one of the founders of the US, wanted the turkey to
be the national emblem instead of the bald eagle?

copied article from Wikipedia:
The idea that Benjamin Franklin preferred the turkey as the national bird of the United States comes from a letter he wrote to his daughter Sarah Bache on January 26, 1784, criticizing the choice of the Bald Eagle as the national bird and suggesting that a turkey would have made a better alternative.
“For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country.
He is a Bird of bad moral character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the
Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing
it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country...

I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For in Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.”

This letter to Franklin's daughter was written after Congress had spent six years choosing the eagle as the emblem of the newly formed country. Franklin's disapproval of the choice of the Bald Eagle appears evident, but may have been made with mock indignation, since it is not apparent that he ever officially advocated the use of the turkey as a national emblem.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2011-11-25 05:17:56 |Display all floors
It's hard to soar like an Eagle when you're surrounded by Turkeys
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.