Author: linda_sun

How to improve my English?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2012-1-28 14:02:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by jl2315 at 2012-1-28 01:03
seneca Post time: 2011-11-23 21:49
You need to think about your perceived "slowness" in holding down a dialogue: Is it caused by your thinking in your first language, then translating it into a second one?
That is the approach you should AVOID. Unfortunately, it is the approach inculcated in all Chinese English learners.

In other words: You must take action to overcome it. Ideally, you don't need your first tongue to understand what is being said in a different language. YOU SHOULD NOT DEPEND ON TRANSLATING.
Excellent advice.  Most Chinese learners of English do not realize that translation is in general more difficult than writing, and for learners at any level, formulating sentences first in Chinese and then translating them into English is a lot more difficult than organizing your thoughts directly in English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-28 14:34:35 |Display all floors
The thing with English at the stage I'm guessing your at is that you may not improve much if you don't do the reading and watching TV( DVD etc). It's your brain that needs immersion, when you read you not only gather patterns of speaking but there is also your voice in your head as a guide to your progress, how smooth it your reading when compared to reading Chinese etc. with a DVD, if the speech is to fast, then watch it again and again until you can catch every word, moving on to the next should be easier. this practice will make you speak and listen better, but conversation is also of prime importance, you must put into practice what you learn, once you get it right, keep up the movies and books, to keep in practice when your not getting conversation. As for comprehension, you should already have the basics, more will come with experience. no subtitles when watching movies.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

anonymoustext
anonymoustext  Post time 2012-1-28 19:18:14
This post was edited by Anonymous at 2015-2-11 03:22

Deleted.

Use magic tools Report

anonymoustext
anonymoustext  Post time 2012-1-28 19:23:04
This post was edited by Anonymous at 2015-2-11 03:22

Deleted.

Use magic tools Report

terryfoy has been deleted
Post time 2012-2-6 05:59:52 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-6 09:32:04 |Display all floors
terryfoy Post time: 2012-2-6 05:59
Alas, I haven't heard the dulcet airs of a blackbird this year yet, but there are many mimics around ...

The website address is unavailable. Why aren't the website addresses which I click on this forum available?
Am I late?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-14 01:03:10 |Display all floors
Best way to improve your English is: watching series, movies.
Lots of word, expression I had no idea before, how to use it and when.
I had learnt a lot from it, there is so many idom, so many thing are just not in the books. And you are not able to study in the schools.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.