Author: chinanumber1

New Zealand is hell for Chinese people   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-1-19 19:03:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ielts2u at 2011-1-19 19:02
I am wary of sheep...

lol

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-20 06:27:33 |Display all floors
'Native' means able to produce a natural conversation. Knowing grammar is not a problem for Chinese, but many wish to know how native speakers speak 'natuarally'. Although it is frustrating for competent non-native speakers, there is no substitute for conversation speakers who have grown up speaking English. Beginner English, grammar and exam preparation are very different.

...and we are way off topic...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-20 09:37:12 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-20 13:43:21 |Display all floors
I see your point, but I don't quite agree. I teach grammar because most students want it. However, in 20 years of teaching, I have only once had an advanced student who was good at grammar. On the other hand, I have had many students who knew their grammar very well, but spoke and wrote relatively poorly.

The question is, should grammar rules be taught explicitly? For the last 10 - 15 years, the answer has been 'no'.
The idea of just teaching 'fluency', without any mention of grammar works for higher levels, but not for the generally lower levels in Asia.
Teaching grammar as it comes up in students' mistakes ('incidentally') seems to work for most students.

So, why don't native-English teachers do much grammar teaching? Usually, because they can't. For the last 30+  years we have largely ignored grammar rules in schools (there has been a backlash against this) and for the wages on offer in China, you usually do not get young people who have done more than a few weeks English-teacher training. This will get better as the pay rises.

I think, to speak more fluently, grammar knowledge is not the key. It is important from Elementary to Intermediate levels, but to a far lesser extent at levels which you need/desire for business or study. This has been reflected in IELTS and TOEFL exams not having a grammar section.

p.s. Sorry about the rant. I have become addicted to CD.

[ Last edited by ielts2u at 2011-1-20 01:52 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-27 12:06:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by BingSilk at 2011-1-15 15:11
Just carry a bseball bat on one hand and a rock on another.  

I want to see who want to taunt me!!

Affirmative!
Live long and prosper

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-27 12:08:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by blueskies88 at 2011-1-14 20:49
China should show the new Zealanders a good strong racist reaction, that will teach them

Naive!
Live long and prosper

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-5-24 08:46:21 |Display all floors

Hahahaha

Seriously, I have lived in NZ for most of my life and never had anything thrown in my face.
And I don't navigate the streets immersed a pack of bodyguards either thank you very much.

Racism (I somehow think prejudice is a more deserving name) occurs with individuals - not the society.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.