Views: 5318|Replies: 19

Why did the Dalai Lama ban Dorje Shugden? [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-3-29 20:35:10 |Display all floors
New Statesman

Meindert Gorter - 28 August 2008

Meindert Gorter explores the history and reasons behind the Dalai Lama's ban on the deity Dorje Shugden

The Dalai Lama has given several reasons to explain the excommunication of the protector, Dorje Shugden, back in 1996. However what he has actually seemed to be doing is adapting the gravity of the ban to match the level of protest against it within the Tibetan community. In some interviews he has even denied having banned the deity; he only wanted to give a warning, people can make their own decision.

The deity is accused of fundamentalism because he obstructs the mixing of the four main schools of Buddhism, which is supported by the Dalai Lama and his teachers. The Dalai Lama said the thought of Dorje Shugden bothered him while taking initiations from one of these, the Nyingma lineage.

We, who stubbornly go on with the deity-practise, don’t see any reason whatsoever to mix the lineages. Each lineage has its own unique transmission; if mixed we think it's like mixing an apple pie with a banana split: you will end up with an undefined mess. There is a lot of mutual respect between the lineages so why give them up?

Knowing the Dalai Lama’s status and the adoration Tibetans feel for him, his words caused turmoil in Tibetan society. Solely due to social pressure, people decided to abandon the practice of worshipping Dorje Shugden, choosing to live by the lines set out by the Dalai Lama.

After all, continuation of this practise was bad for the Dalai’s health and damaging the Tibetan cause, and who wants responsibility for that? Serious Dorje Shugden practitioners however felt it impossible to choose between the two. "The Dalai Lama wants me to choose between my father and my mother," said some when asked why they would not stop. Others, more philosophically trained monks and teachers, found the ban to be anti-Buddhistic and for that reason alone would not stop.

Gradually the pressure on Dorje Shugden practitioners got worse. Fanatical Dalai Lama followers began to demolish statues of the deity, the existing social solidarity amongst Tibetans was gone. Even in Tibet itself, where restoration of temples is in full swing and people enjoy new religious freedom, this ban created suspicion. Dorje Shugden worshippers were accused of being part of the ‘Dorje Shugden sect’ and became outcasts. The Dorje Shugden Society was founded, an ad-hoc group of people working together to oppose the ban - not to save the enlightened deity from harm but to help thousands of people from becoming outcasts.

But numerous appeals and worldwide protests have not helped. The Dalai Lama has not responded and refuses all contact. If you think the Dalai Lama is only in the business of provoking positive sentiments, as most Westerners believe, you have to firmly close your eyes to imagine this less romantic reality.

During speeches in India in January 2008, he has enforced the ban more strictly then ever before, claiming that his own religious freedom is obstructed by Dorje Shugden.

The last years brought us forced signature campaigns, in which monks promised to stop propitiating Dorje Shugden in return for obtaining travel documents from the exiled government or to be admitted into monasteries. Last January monks were engaged in weird actions such as swearing in a loud voice to denounce the deity. All contact with those monks that have not followed the ban is forbidden. This implements a de-facto apartheid with signs forbidding monks from entering classrooms, hospitals and shops. They even have to study and dine separately.

However, in spite of all this, there exists some solidarity with the Nyingma monks helping the Dorje Shugden monks to survive within this hostile monastic environment.

Smashing statues, beatings and discrimination.

Boy this DL guy could get a job anywhere with those qualifications.     

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-3-30 17:15:14 |Display all floors

More coment same source

One reason the Dalai Lama gives Westerners for banning the practice of Dorje Shugden is that we are “sectarian” or even “a cult”. However, whereas the Dalai Lama says to be non-sectarian means to practise all traditions (as he now does), Dorje Shugden practitioners say being non-sectarian means to respect all traditions.

The last chapter of religious persecution started January 2008 in the Southern India monasteries of Ganden, Drepung and Sera. There were still a large number of Dorje Shugden practitioners living there indistinguishable from the other monks, doing everything together – daily prayers, meditation, debate, teachings, kitchen chores, administration – proof that in decades of patriotic re-education the Dalai Lama had still not really convinced the educated monastics that there was anything wrong with this Dharma Protector.

After the so-called “vote sticks” -- when in front of the entire monastic assembly each monk was to take the oath never to worship Dorje Shugden nor have any spiritual or material relationship with anyone who did -- actual sectarianism began in earnest and an outcast group of Tibetans arose. 900 monks are expelled from their homes. At Ganden monastery, a wall is erected to segregate Dorje Shugden monks from other monks.

Punishment for those “traitors” who refuse to conform = no yellow identity card. No identity card = no ability to buy food, travel, and so on. Eerily reminiscent of Germany in the 1930s?

A great deal of persecution happened in the months after the ban in the 1990s, sanctioned by the Tibetan government in exile. For example,Tashi Angdu, president of the Tibetan Regional Council, said: “Anyone who is against the Dalai Lama must be opposed… that is to say by all means including violence” and “There are official and unofficial Deities, and worshipping Deities not approved by the government is against the law.” Other anonymous posters said (and still say): “They have to be killed.” “We will interrupt their lives.” “You will be dead in seven days.”

Then some voices from the West started questioning what was going on and on May 14 1996 the Tibetan cabinet released a statement denying any religious suppression. This denial has been going on for 12 years, along with the refusal to meet and discuss. But there is now irrefutable evidence of a ban and persecution and, thanks to the power of the Internet, the Tibetan regime is no longer as able to substitute reality with image and spin.

I seem to remember this statement, "This denial has been going on for 12 years, along with the refusal to meet and discuss.", being attributed to some other body.

Curious.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-22 02:07:29 |Display all floors
If the Dalai Lama feels that Dorje Shugden isn't a valid Buddhism and is harmful to Buddhism I think it is reasonable for him to advise people not to follow it. But he handled the situation poorly and allowed it to become a case of religious suppression and coercion.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2010-4-23 08:38:40 |Display all floors
  1. Why did the D.  L. ban Dorje Shugden?
Copy code

Mainly because the "monk" felt threatened as the supreme "leader". Anyboby who he considers a challenger to his rule in exile will face the same fate. This is the main reason why he also prohibits the Karmapa to visit his homeland. The black hat sect is gaining power north of the big mountains.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-23 21:28:55 |Display all floors

seneca

I think you missed the point and have expanded the discussion to other areas.

The DL proselytizes love and dignity and rights for all.

Then in making a ban on a section of his own religion he negates his own offering.

Is there a word for that..........................?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-24 06:34:10 |Display all floors
The following statement bothers me.

#1: "During speeches in India in January 2008, he has enforced the ban more strictly then ever before, claiming that his own religious freedom is obstructed by Dorje Shugden."

To me, it's an odd statement. How can the Dorje Shugden obstruct the Dalai Lama's religious freedom?

This whole affair is very strange and the reasons given for banning the Dorje Shugden don't make sense to me which makes me think that the Dalai Lama isn't being honest about the real reasons for banning it.

I have been doing some research on this subject and came across a video on this web page:

http://www.france24.com/en/20080 ... dhism-dorje-shugden

In the video they did offer a possible explanation for the Dalai Lama's motives. It seems that many Dorje Shugden members are sympathetic to the PRC and believe that Tibet is part of China. One Dorje Shugden man interviewed said that there were excesses during the cultural revolution but that happens in all revolutions and the excesses that happened in Tibet weren't any worse than the excesses that happened throughout the rest of China. So the Tibetans weren't singled out for religious persecution. And the liberation of Tibet was good in some ways and they would be worse off if the liberation never happened and they were living under the Dalai Lama in Tibet today.

If the Dorje Shugden people don't support of the Dalai Lama's political goals, I can see why the Dalai Lama would want to make them outcasts so they don't influence the other people in Dharmasala.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-24 10:11:03 |Display all floors

It's called hypocrisy......

Originally posted by expatter at 2010-4-23 21:28
I think you missed the point and have expanded the discussion to other areas.

The DL proselytizes love and dignity and rights for all.

Then in making a ban on a section of his own religion he ...

(I just wanted to help my 'dear friend, senny'....)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.