Views: 4324|Replies: 3

Make your own yogurt [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-11-5 17:53:03 |Display all floors
Whether you are on a diet, diabetic or, like me, need some natural unsweetend yogurt for cooking then this should overcome your problem.

You will need:

1 litre of full fat/whole milk. I used "Mengnu Monomilk"

1 vacuum/thermos flask with a capacity of 1litre or more

1 large saucepan

1 spoon for stirring

2 tablespoons of natural(not flavoured) yogurt. I used "Natural" Do not worry that Natural tastes as if it has a high sugar content or appears a little thin. Alow it to rise to room temperature if you've had it in the fridge.

Sterilize the thermos flask, including the stopper, and the stirring spoon with boiling water. Then pour the water away.

Pour the milk into the saucepan and bring almost to the boil making sure that you stir the milk to avoid burning. Immediately that you see bubbles rising to the surface, just short of boiling (85 deg. centigrade), you can remove the saucepan from the heat.

Allow the milk to cool to a temperature of 43 degrees centigrade. It helps if you have a thermometer but as a guide your body temperature is about 37 degrees centigrade. I managed without a thermometer so it doesn't need to be spot on.  However, if the milk is too hot then it will kill the bacteria in your yogurt starter. If the milk is too cold then the bacteria will not grow and convert your warm milk into yogurt.

For faster results in the cooling process you can partially immerse the saucepan of hot milk in a bowl of cold water. Alternate between stirring the milk and stirring the water. Replace the water with fresh cold water if necessary.

When the milk has been reduced to about 43 deg C then add 2 tablespoons of the base "Natural" yogurt at room temperature to the milk and stir.

Pour the milk into the vacuum flask. Replace the stopper and leave for at least 7 hours or overnight.

This method produces yogurt that was not sweet to taste - possibly very slightly sharp tasting. The yogurt is also typically much thicker than the yogurt starter.

Remember:

Be careful of the milk temperature.

If you have not sterilized the equipment you use with boiling hot water then you might find that the taste of your batch of yogurt is affected.

You can use skimmed milk as an alternative but I've found that the resulting yogurt is not as thick.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-5 17:54:36 |Display all floors

The milk

milk.jpg
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-5 17:55:20 |Display all floors

The starter

starter.jpg
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-11-5 17:56:37 |Display all floors

The end result

Home made natural yogurt. Enjoy.
yogurt.jpg
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.