Author: greendragon

Global Warming is doing havoc to global climate! [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-10-7 17:33:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2009-10-7 14:44

Doing something is better than nothing.

With seismic detectors, and public warning system - earthquake or tsunami SIREN could give inhabitants thecrucial few minutes to seek shelter of STATE CERTIFIED SHELTERs, that can protect against tremors or maybe water tight to enable protection against sudden surge of sea water till the tremors or wave subsides.

Afaik in Indonesia a public tsunami warning system is in place, or so I believe but once again, seismic detectors give you no warning, well almost no warning. It tells you 3 to 5 seconds before the earth trembles that a huge earthquake happens NOW. That's it. Unfortunately we humans have not yet developped a relyable early earthquake warning system.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-8 13:54:49 |Display all floors

Reply #8 satsu_jin's post

I think if you manage to detect tectonic plates, and it's movement, stress condition of the geological structure. The timing of the earthquake event becomes more accurate!

Japan, USA,China now is developing the needed technology to achieve better results.
It needs a whole range of sensors to be build and deep earth detection technologies!

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2009-10-9 08:42:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2009-10-8 14:54

I think if you manage to detect tectonic plates, and it's movement, stress condition of the geological structure. The timing of the earthquake event becomes more accurate!

Unfortunately that's not the case. Accuracy in predicting earthquakes is similar to reading a crystal ball. There are chances that once in a lifetime the prediction is correct.......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-9 12:40:36 |Display all floors

There my friend is the trouble with CHINA!

When Admiral Cheng Ho had the advantage of advanced Chinese naval technology, he could have explore the world! Admiral Cheng Ho could have developed international trade, provide the impectus to develop new technologies to harvest the riches of foreign states!

Alas! China was the world richest empire in the 1400's!!!
With naval ships that were the best in the world.

Yet! It was the tiny boats from poor state of Portugal that manage to reap benefits of their voyage! and European nations rivalry with each other that create our modern world!

I have read some Chinese poster in this BBS, saying space exploration is a waste of money, that it might be impossible to gain benefit and met neo communist in Malaya pushing to expand tea, silk and porceleintrade! I have met CHINESE RASCIST in Malaya who thought that they were superior to others!

Alas!

Such is the case!

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-13 01:29:47 |Display all floors

Reply #6 greendragon's post

We are planning to invite Singapore back into the federation eventually to strengthen the entity!

Say who?  

Malaysia has to do away with the Malay Supremacy policy first, and also the Islamic Fundamentalism.  Otherwise Singaporeans won't be at peace!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-13 13:00:52 |Display all floors

Reply #12 matthew5_3's post

ouch!

ha ha ha

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-10-13 13:22:46 |Display all floors
While the industrialized nations did most of the damage and should use their wealth to help fix the problem developing countries need to do something to because they are the ones that have something to lose.
Industrialized nations will not seriously tackle climate change without the developing world signing on to similar sacrifices because they fear being out competed.

Its not fair but if the developing world wants to wait and take the moral high ground about fairness they will see what is really unfair.  If unchecked, climate change will inflict the worst damage on the developing world while the industrialized countries are able to protect and feed themselves.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.