Set HomepageAdd a favorite

Chinadaily Forum

Forgotten your password?
 register

QQ登录

Views: 6321|Replies: 15

The Claim: Some Dogs Look Like Their Owners [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-8-21 10:35:11 |Display all floors
Best friends they may be, but are man and dog so entwined that they tend to take after one another in appearance?

It is one of those eternal, quirky questions, at least for dog owners. But only recently have scientists taken a close look in actual studies.

In 2004, researchers in San Diego found that subjects in a study were able to correctly match pictures of dog owners with their pets more often than not, but only when the dogs were purebreds. Simple traits like hair and size played a smaller role than things like facial expressions.

The same year, a psychologist at the University of South Carolina challenged the findings in a separate study, pointing out flaws in the study designs. When the San Diego researchers countered with a reanalysis that confirmed their initial findings, the debate seemed to be at a standstill.

Earlier this year, a scientist in England joined the fray with a study in which 70 subjects were asked to match pictures of 41 dog owners to one of several breeds. They were able to match successfully more than half the time, far better than chance.

Similar to the San Diego study, the subjects later said they matched mostly by looking for personality traits that they believed the dogs and their owners shared. Scientists suspect that some people look for certain traits or predispositions when choosing a dog that reflect their own personalities.

"Agnes and Ryan, we were watching Star Wars and discovered that she shares a likeness to not only us, but Rancor (who is Jabba the Hut's pet) as well." --Nicole Lane Fulmer

PUFdogs-and-owners_1250180431_UpYLqx.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-21 10:49:55 |Display all floors
"Rachel and Benji enjoyed Woofstock, the dog festival. I'm not sure if you see a resemblance but they just look like two cute kids to me. [Please note it was in June but I'm not sure of the exact day]" --Dana Kingstone

PUFdogs-and-owners_1250160410_Zneodp_thumb_600.jpg
Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-21 10:52:32 |Display all floors
"My cat Betty and I are here to represent!"--Megan

PUF1.jpg
Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-21 10:53:56 |Display all floors
"My husband Drew cooks some killer ribs - which are enjoyed by man and hound alike." -- Samantha Steelman

1.jpg
Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-21 11:08:03 |Display all floors
I only wish I was half as cute as my 4 year old Bichon Frise, Arthur!" -- Susan Carmody

1.jpg
Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-21 11:28:19 |Display all floors
:)

[ Last edited by raymondlam at 2009-8-21 11:44 AM ]
Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-8-21 14:46:21 |Display all floors

I don't think some dogs....

look like their owners.......I think it's the other way around!
Support[0]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

Archiver|   

GMT +8, 2014-12-22 12:42

Contact Us :

Office number : 86-10-84883534 , 86-10-84883548   Email: chinaforum#chinadaily.com.cn, Switch the # to @ when you send email to us.

Back to the top