Author: greendragon

Can China expand MEAT production? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-3-2 14:56:17 |Display all floors

The Germans loves their pork....

....and without doubt they invented HAMBURGER, chop beef patties to solve the tough meat problem.

ha ha ha

and free range cattle must be cheap. you just gather the possee and fatten the beef before slaughter into beef products to reduce logistic cost.

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-2 16:31:48 |Display all floors
Greendragon:
You seems to be reallly ignorant about chinese situation

Why not focus on expanding meat production on the grassland of China.
Produce more beef, sheep to increase food production, then we need less grain to feed the population.

That's a really naive idea: do you think someone can control what a population want to eat? DO you even know the cost of the excessing meat diet in US and already in china? I mean the hearth diseases, cancers..Etc...?

Anyway, China is 10 million km2, it's a very large nation.

Yes, but the arable land part of these 10 million km2 is very very little. Furthermore: an important part of theses lands are wasted because of industry, pollution, urbanization and roads.

There should be land to increase meat production, especially the herbivores creatures.

Remember that china import the food of its cows (especially from US), because a cow eat a lot, and pollute a lot too.

Chinese food is one of the best and healthiest of the world, I think the good way is just the contrary of what you suggest.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-2 17:43:25 |Display all floors
why do you want Chinese to eat more meat
It seems healthier and more sensable eating more vegetables
I personally love it.  Who wants 500 grams of beer a day.  I am happy with 25-50 grams
also should note that meat is less productive per hectare than vegetables or grains.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-2 19:20:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2009-3-2 14:53
Urban Chinese can afford to eat BEEF, if you CHOP it tender......

Look at the Japanese, they solve the cultural problem by making beef tender,
ie. Kobe beef, etc.

Can't do that in China, TO ...

Oh I wouldn't love those mixed stuff...

The beef which  the soft part is in chest,my bf showed me in food market,that's can be easily cooked. He loves beef steak.
We use the stiff part to cook damplings,my mother always did that.
***always to be yourself***

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-2 19:34:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2009-3-2 13:51
So much focus on arable land to produce grain.

Why not focus on expanding meat production on the grassland of China.
Produce more beef, sheep to increase food production, then we need less grai ...

You are quite wrong there... It's a two-way thing, cos animal feed is made of GRAINS.

Even if human grain consumption is lowered due to higher meat consumption, China would need more grains to feed its livestock population so it doesn't balance out. And if the livestock industry expands so much more and faster than grain production, guess what? China will then be reliant on grain imports. For now, China is self-sufficient in corn but imports lots of soy.

A better plan is needed, if China wants to remain more or less self-sufficient.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-3 15:18:01 |Display all floors

Well, i was thinking of FREE RANGE beef production.

ha ha ha

at least it would partially solve the shortage of ARABLE land needed to produce grain.

FREE RANGE CATTLE does not use corn, or other grains.

ha ha ha

heck, we were wondering what to do with that 2 million sq. km of land in Tibet, and how about Sinkiang, Gangsu, Inner Mongolia, where there must be grassland!

ha ha ha

it's just an idea.......the Japanese fed their cattle beer, apples....sliced their beef thinly, and use the juicy parts for tender steaks......

why not, or why can't......

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-3-3 15:19:22 |Display all floors

Reply #10 seneca's post

i think Beef patties mixed with some potatoes/spice....taste a lot better....

ha ha ha

it's an idea...don't get too uptight....

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.