Author: changabula

What the British did to China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-3 07:08:58 |Display all floors

Reply #1 changabula's post

We know in the USA that the formation of an independent country cut short the ability for Great Britain to exploit the silver of the "New World" although they may argue that other slave parts of the Kingdom made up for the loss of American silver,  the new movie about the end of slavery in Great Britain points out the actual cost of slaves(great loss of life),  which speaks loudly for the cost of silver exploitation rising everywhere at the time.

I'll answer why mencius use of art pictures instead of history is a lie the art of the skyline is a very fine scene but to change the look of doubt on the faces of citizens of Honk Kong to confident smiles that is a piece of history.  The difference can't be seen from outerspace but a little more closer to the ground.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-3 07:50:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-3-3 06:50

You could be right. The Chinese people have had a long and proud history of trade and commerce.

Now just imagine then what CHINA would be like if it were governed by a British type system li ...

Wrong my friend. Singapore is a Confucian-legalistic authoritarian meritocracy built on state owned enterprises (government-linked corporations or GLCs; because of which your government is so reluctant to open up your air routes). Hong Kong practises unabashed laissez faire economic system under a non democratic sytem all along. Both of which are totally different from Britain.

[ Last edited by greatwall_sg at 2007-3-3 07:52 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-3 08:05:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broken_heart at 2007-3-3 07:08
I'll answer why mencius use of art pictures instead of history is a lie the art of the skyline is a very fine scene but to change the look of doubt on the faces of citizens of Honk Kong to confident smiles that is a piece of history.  The difference can't be seen from outerspace but a little more closer to the ground

A very good point broken_heart.

Unfortunately, it will fall on their deaf ears! They will only hear what they want and see what they want.

Don't take what they say too seriously. Their argumant is flimsy at best.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-3 08:09:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-3-3 06:50
Now just imagine then what CHINA would be like if it were governed by a British type system like that which we saw in HK and Singapore!  

So why is it not working so well in the Britain?

Oh I forgot! According to you Britain has been so good to its colonies that it has forsaken its own interest so that they can succeed.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-3 10:53:40 |Display all floors

Reply #25 changabula's post

So "good" to it's OLD colony the USA that it has forsaken its own interest so that they(THE OLD 13 COLONIES) can succeed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-3 12:00:18 |Display all floors
Strange, of all the British colonies, the only successful ones without any natural resources or land masses and of sufficient size (population 100,000 or more) are Hong Kong and Singapore. Why then? It is because the majority of the population are Chinese? Now imagine if these two cities were of other races, will they be as successful?

Ahhhh the much feted business acumen of the Chinese!!! Well I will give you that.  It certainly explains why the Chinese have been very successful and dominant in business all over south east Asia at the expense of the locals.

When the colony  was founded in 1842 I doubt there were more than a hundred Chinese in population in total, and almost none of them in business.  Its just a piece of barren rock with maybe some fishermen/pirates.  And smugglers, a form of trade in itself.

But its not really about the Chinese.  So much as its the right colonizers.

The commerce and business only took off and grew with the introduction of rule of laws by the British.  And the maintenance of law and order upkeep of peace and defense guarantee a stable environment to carry out the trade. Nothing ever happens in vacuum, however brilliant the Chinese are in always squeezing out  the margins. Without colonization, you wont be able to say for certain that successive Chinese governments would have developed and nutured it the way it had been by the British?  It could very well have remained a barren rocks.

As I says, just contrast it with Macao.  Its full of Chinese too. Yet... Not convinced?  Compare Singapore to whats now Timor Leste.  What Zimbabwe could have been with what Mozambique/Angola never are.

Not everyone makes good colonizers.  Some only succeeded in giving it a bad rep.

[ Last edited by diaboloist at 2007-3-3 12:16 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-6 12:12:09 |Display all floors

Reply #21 emucentral's post

Geeeze Emu, i think the British just made an improvement based on the "Chinese model"...

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Lord of the code
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.