Author: changabula

What the British did to China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-2 23:28:22 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-3-2 21:03

Mencius' post #5 had two words "Another shot" and a picture of Hong Kong.

I can vouch that the photo is a photo of the Hong Kong skyline, it quite recognisable.

So where is this ...

Its ironic that you show a picture of Hong Kong!

Have you seen run down pictures of some of Britain's inner cities and slum areas?

So was those fantastic buildings in Hong Kong due to the British or the Chinese living there?

Are you racists trying to tell us that when Britain invades somewhere, it makes the place beautiful, but keep Britain like a rubbish dump?

That bit of logic is beyond me! But of course, when you are speaking out of your bottoms, your lies become truth to you.

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-3-2 11:31 PM ]
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 23:38:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greatwall_sg at 2007-3-2 23:27
Strange, of all the British colonies, the successful ones without any natural resources or land masses and of sufficient size (population 100,000 or more) are Hong Kong and Singapore. Why then?  ...

greatwall_sg:

These racists have fallen into their own trap!

Hong Kong's success was because of the Chinese spirit, endeavour, innovation and hard work. If it was left to the British, most of the population would be stupid, dumb and undernourished (because of poverty) like in Britain.

BTW I can back up my last sentence with lots of examples showing the problems in British society. I don't mind expanding on this sentence if people need to see examples.

We Chinese are successful at everything we put our hands to. We don't need to destroy other nations and steal their resources.

mencius:

Show us more pictures. I like to see how successful we Chinese are.

If you guys are sensible you would let the Chinese take on the top jobs in British industry. They will make Britain successful and will not remind you of your past. We are a magnaminous people!

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-3-3 12:03 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 23:45:42 |Display all floors
What's wrong with Macau? It has a per capita GDP higher than South Korea or Taiwan province Last year it overtook Las Vegas as the biggest gaming centre. What about Bermuda, with a pop. of 65,000, 80 km square, it doesn't even qualify to be a town, let alone a country. It is rich because it is a tax haven and money laundery centre.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 23:48:16 |Display all floors
Totally agree with you changabula. Time is on our side.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 23:56:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greatwall_sg at 2007-3-2 23:45
What's wrong with Macau?

Macau is one of the most developed countries in Asia in terms of public health provision.

There the average life expectancy is 75.5 years for men and 79.9 years for women.

Hey greatwall_sg, I wouldn't mind living there. I would like to have a long life.

I bet in a few years, all these guys will be queuing up to go there.

The British hates Britain. In their later years they are all trying to go to Spain, South of France, Australia and other countries. mencius will admit that if he is being honest. Of course he will put a spin on it!

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-3-3 12:05 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-3 00:22:42 |Display all floors
Human Trafficking

Scholar Yan Qinghuang [Yen Ching-hwang] of HK University had authored a book entitled Chinese Coolies Overseas & Manchu Officials [i.e., Coolies and Mandarins] and pointed out that British Opium War of 1839-1842 had coincided with the prosperity of slave-nature trafficking of Chinese coolies overseas, a trade that was first started by the Dutch in 17th century.

Who are the Zhu-Zai and the Chinaman?
(source: "Chinese Coolies Overseas & Manchu Officials
by Prof Yen Ching-hwang)

The Opium War of 1839-1842 had coincided with the prosperity of slave trafficking of Chinese coolie overseas, a trade that was first started by the Dutch in the 17th century. Xiamen (Amoy), a port which had replaced historical Quanzhou port, would become the first port to see the Chinese coolie sold overseas. In 1847, the British governor claimed that British revenues from Amoy was in excess of 72,000 pounds, about 3 times the combined value from all other ports, a manifestation of the slave trade, trafficking Chinese coolie to British Guana, Trinidad and Jamaica. Macau later replaced Amoy in November of 1852 as the exit port for slave trafficking when riots broke out as a result of Chinese action against a British smuggler and his coolie trafficking Chinese henchman.

From 1847 to 1875, 150,000 Chinese coolies were sold to Cuba, where they were known as 'zhuzai' or little pigs. This coolie trade was to continue well into the early 20th century.

The Chinese were sold everywhere. Peru, Pacific Islands, West Indies, North Africa, South Africa, the United States and Australia all benefited from the Chinese coolie slave trade. Chinese coolies built the Panama Railroad, the US railroads and miles of highways across the Western US. These Chinese worked hard, often under harsh conditions and extreme racial discrimination.

However, perceiving a rising threat to their western way of life from the increasing flood of Chinese immigrants, the "Chinese Exclusion Act" of 1882 barred further immigration of Chinese to the continental US. Following the acquisition of Hawaii in the summer of 1898 and Philippines in December of 1898, President Theodore Roosevelt signed into law the "Chinese Exclusion Act" to be applied throughout US-controlled islands and territories over the world. This had the effect of making the Chinese the lowest caste in society, a fundamental cause in Chinese suffering subsequent ethnic cleansing in the Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia. In 1943, Chinese Exclusion Act was finally repealed by the American Congress and China was awarded a yearly immigration quota of 102 persons.

1. http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/lofiversion/index.php/t1461.html
Copy code

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-3-3 12:31 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-3 06:50:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greatwall_sg at 2007-3-3 01:27
Strange, of all the British colonies, the only successful ones without any natural resources or land masses and of sufficient size (population 100,000 or more) are Hong Kong and Singapore. Why then? It is because the majority of the population are Chinese? Now imagine if these two cities were of other races, will they be as successful?

You could be right. The Chinese people have had a long and proud history of trade and commerce.

Now just imagine then what CHINA would be like if it were governed by a British type system like that which we saw in HK and Singapore!
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.