Author: changabula

What the British did to China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-2 18:27:29 |Display all floors
The Opium War was wrong, but at least the British built a great city in Hong Kong. So the good and bad balances out. My mom was born in Hong Kong, my family speaks the Hong Kong dialect.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 18:34:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mencius at 2007-2-28 06:17
Here are some pictures

And worth a thousand words indeed, Mencius.

Hard to argue against that!!

Of course there are also the intangibles, like the fact that an HK citizen can hop on a plane and travel the world, and has been able to do so for decades.

Or that the same HK citizen can stroll down to the Legco building and hold up a placard protesting against the HK government, which he has also been able to do for decades.

He can extol the virtues of the Communist party, or the Democrats, or the Liberals or whatever, and he is quite safe and while he peacefully protests or presents his views, he will be PROTECTED by the police from abuse by others who hold different views.

Ironically Changabula would be free to rant and rave his poisoned view of the world in HK, however someone presenting a positive view of western democracy in Beijing might find things getting a little less comfortable.
Now there's a legacy Britain left for the people of HK!
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 19:10:04 |Display all floors
Again, I'm so tired with of robbers sugaring up themselves, dignifying their aggression, shamelessly, high and mighty with an atitude like "yep we invaded you so we brought you prosperous society and wealth" regardless what they had taken more---this is just like a robber raped a girl and robbed her family and brought her away with him, this robber&rapist telling her she should feel lucky and deeply grateful cause he's such a wealthy decent robber
...so no more talk about HK...but one thing I'm curious..

One of my professors went to Tibet with several Brits, he later told us about his travelling, there in Tibet when they went across area, the local Tibetan saw the British and suddenly stopped them, after my prof and some Chinese fellows talking with him the situation got worse, cause that Tibeten insisted British could not go across there...they still hate Brits...
In 1903 in Tibet, the Brits slaughtered lots of Tibetans...but I've met British(more than one), heckling me on affairs about what China did to Tibet...

One thing I'm curious...I'm wondering now...who's most thick-skinned on earth?

[ Last edited by superkylin at 2007-3-2 07:12 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 19:27:24 |Display all floors

Reply #9 emucentral's post

U.S. GET OUT OF IRAQ
U.S. get out of Iraq

Australia is just as stupid about Mr Cheney's visit,  they would like to carp on forum members and spout hindsight about China.   They call a liar and that is all I can ask you do you think you are a liar.  Emucentral are you a liar?  Do you think I care.

U.S. GET OUT OF IRAQ
U.S. get out of Iraq

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 19:30:00 |Display all floors

Reply #5 mencius's post

They call you a liar Mencius are you a liar?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 21:03:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by broken_heart at 2007-3-2 21:30
Reply #5 mencius's post They call you a liar Mencius are you a liar?  

Mencius' post #5 had two words "Another shot" and a picture of Hong Kong.

I can vouch that the photo is a photo of the Hong Kong skyline, it quite recognisable.

So where is this lie that you accuse Mencius of spreading ?

Originally posted by broken_heart at 2007-3-2 21:27
Emucentral are you a liar?  Do you think I care.
If you don't care then why do you ask?

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-3-2 11:09 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 23:27:32 |Display all floors
Strange, of all the British colonies, the only successful ones without any natural resources or land masses and of sufficient size (population 100,000 or more) are Hong Kong and Singapore. Why then? It is because the majority of the population are Chinese? Now imagine if these two cities were of other races, will they be as successful?

These bast@rds are only interested in stripping away resources from their colonies. Look at Africa, India and the rest of the Indian sub-continent, a mayhem of poverty.

Even land endowed New Zealand now is so backward, Singapore has to donate 2nd hand refurblished (by Singapore) Skyhawk A4S fighters to them so they can defend themselves.

[ Last edited by greatwall_sg at 2007-3-2 11:35 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.